1752735 Members
5387 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: Right device for the job

f-c-m
Occasional Visitor

Right device for the job

I have a MSR20-X device I want to know  if the router can be configured to to the following:

1. ISP connection (IPV4 and IPV6) through a T1.
  2. A LAN will full access to a set of  public IPV4 /24 addresses and IPV6 /72 addresses (Internet Zone)
  3. Intranet LAN, with IPV4 NAT access to the internet and with /72 IPV6 public addresses (Intranet Zone)
  4. Second LAN zone with no IPV4 access to the Internet and with /72 IPV6 public addresses (Camera Zone)
  5. Wireless access to one of the 3 zones depending on the SSID
  6. The 'Intranet Zone' must use a DSL device (i.e. route) for outgoing internet traffic, except for IP's on the Internet Zone.
  7. DHCP provided externally (through a Server)

How much of this configuration is possible?

1 REPLY 1
AlexGrigorescu
Occasional Advisor

Re: Right device for the job

Hello

At first sight, all your requests can be met by the MSR 20-X series routers.

But it depends on the X pat of the router (foe example: MSR20-21 and MSR20-40 do not have wireless built into them).

All HP routers have support for IPv6 and IPv6 routing protocols (BGP+, OSPF v3, IS-IS for v6) so routing IPv6 adresses is not a problem.

They have ACL based routing (so you can segment the network and route different parts through different connections using ACL's).

DHCP relay (for using external servers) is also supported.

I recommend reading the configuration guide and the examples and starting from there.

Be advised that MSR20-X routers have a 333 Mhz CPU and for large and complex networks you may need to go one or two steps higher (MSR 30 or MSR 50 series routers). It depends on the number of routes and the traffic...

Regards,

Alex