1748270 Members
3640 Online
108760 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: HP 1820 vlan config

lcman
Occasional Visitor

HP 1820 vlan config

Hope someone can help me with this, I did have a HP2510-24 switch thats just failed so I have replaced it with a HP1820-24. The original 2510 was configured with 4 VLANS (which I am still learning SLOWLY)

HP2510

VLAN 1 = Ports 1-6, VLAN 2 = Ports 7-12, VLAN 3 = 13-18, VLAN 4 = Ports 19-24 all ports untagged. Each VLAN is a connected to a seperate network running AD, DHCP,DNS etc. This all worked fine, with my management pc's on each vlan

HP1820

I have configured VLANS identical to above, but as soon as I connect my different network I loose access to some of the network. So I am presumming I have a config error but am struggling to resolve it all help appreciated. I basically want ot chop the 24 ports up into 6 port chunks with NO connectivity between each VLAN.

5 REPLIES 5
-TM-
Advisor

Not reaching parts of your network sounds like trouble with the Spanning Tree. Loops in your netowrk are very common for disabling the network.

The 1820 series is a Layer-2 Switch. Defined several VLANs (don't forget to save changes before the next power cycle) should isolate any VLAN from the others. You'd need a router/L3-Switch to connect those VLANS again. Are you using different IP-nets for every VLAN?

lcman
Occasional Visitor

Yeap each network has different IP's, as I said I dont want ANY connectivity between VLAN's I just want to chop the 24 ports into 4 x 6 port chunks this was easy to setup on my HP2510 any help appreciated.

-TM-
Advisor

I don't have a 1820, but the documentation chapter 5 says: 

http://h20566.www2.hpe.com/hpsc/doc/public/display?sp4ts.oid=7687976&docId=emr_na-c04622710&docLocale=en_US

1.) create VLAN (1,2,3,4)

2.) select Ports to assign as 'untagged' or 'excluded' port to each VLAN.

Should work. 

Fritsch James
Frequent Advisor

Did you ever solve this problem? We are expiriencing the same thing here - used to have hp 1810 switches and recently bought some 1820s. Setting up multiple vlans as we are used to - but connecting more than one of the vlans with the infrastructure results in a loop. Looks like there is a configuration option that causes the vlans not to be separated ?

16again
Respected Contributor

If there's such a thing as "hybrid mode" port, I'd avoid it and use trunk mode instead.