Around the Storage Block
1753666 Members
6269 Online
108799 Solutions
New Article ๎ฅ‚
StorageExperts

Re: HPE Nimble Storage dHCI Intelligent 1-Click Updates: Service Pack for ProLiant is here!

Itโ€™s been a while without writing a blog post, and I have to admit that I miss it. In fact, we have been pretty busy working on simplifying an HPE ProLiant firmware update that belongs to dHCI.

You want to know how? Yes! Youโ€™re at the right place!

With the upcoming HPE Nimble Storage release, 5.3.1.0, we will be adding Service Pack for ProLiant (SPP) firmware updates as part of our existing 1-Click Updates feature. What that means is that now we will be updating NimbleOS, VMware ESXi, HPE Nimble Storage Connection Manager for VMware (NCM), and SPP.

Why donโ€™t we go over the full process together?

Nimble Storage-dHCI-AI-ProLiant-service pack_blog.pngPre-requisite

To start using this add-on, you will first need to update your HPE Nimble Storage array to NimbleOS 5.3.1.0. In fact, if you are running 5.2.1, you should see a catalog under Update that can bring you directly to 5.3.1.

You will also need to have a VMware vSphere license that includes the vSphere Distributed Resource Scheduler (DRS) feature. vSphere DRS is triggered during the update process to put your host in maintenance mode, and move VMs around during the ESXi update.

Updating your environment

OK, the beauty of the beast here is that I donโ€™t have much to teach you. Once you have your array running 5.3.1.0, you will see different catalogs that now include the SPP version.

dHCI Software Image 1.png

After you click Update, our feature runs a few prechecks, just to make sure that your environment is in a healthy state.

Pre-checks completePre-checks complete

If the prechecks are successful, you can click Continue. Next, you have to review the EULA and click Agree and Update.

End-user License AgreementEnd-user License Agreement

After you click Update, dHCI starts the process of updating NimbleOS, ESXi NCM, and SPP.

Updating to Version 1.0Updating to Version 1.0

At this point, grab the popcorn and watch the show!

Behind the scenes, dHCI updates NimbleOS first. After thatโ€™s done, it starts the ESXi and NCM updates. Finally, dHCI triggers vSphere DRS to move all of the VMs of one server to the other servers, and puts the host into maintenance mode. After the host is in maintenance mode, dHCI performs the update. Each server is rebooted twice during this process. After the update, vSphere DRS moves VMs back to the server. No touch is required on your side, so you can spend your time on something that really matters for your business!

In a couple of clicks, you have updated your HPE Nimble Storage array, vSphere ESXi, NCM, and SPP. At this point, I havenโ€™t asked you to review four different compatibility matrixes to check which version of the component you should be using with dHCI. You donโ€™t need to do that because we are taking care of this for you upfront. Now, when you see a new catalog show up in your dHCI vCenter plugin, you can just update!

But wait โ€“ Thereโ€™s more! HPE Infosight provides a rich feature set of data for your HPE ProLiant servers, as well.  After 24 hours, log in to HPE Infosight. Click Dashboards, and then, under Servers, select Reports.

HPE InfoSight DashboardHPE InfoSight Dashboard

You can select a report on SPP Compliance by Server.

SPP Compliance by ServerSPP Compliance by Server

Click the chart under SPP Compliance by Server to be redirected to this view from which you can download a CSV report.

Server ListServer List

And there you have it.

I would really like to hear from you. Are these tutorials helpful? Is there another topic you would like me to cover?

Thanks in advance for your feedback, and until next time, stay safe!

Fred Gagne.jpeg

Fred Gagne, Technical Marketing Engineer, specializing in HPE Converged Solutions and the HPE Nimble Storage dHCI solution.

Storage Experts
Hewlett Packard Enterprise

twitter.com/HPE_Storage
linkedin.com/showcase/hpestorage/
hpe.com/storage

About the Author

StorageExperts

Our team of Hewlett Packard Enterprise storage experts helps you to dive deep into relevant infrastructure topics.

Comments
Sean Flaherty

Great information, thanks. I do have a question around one touch updates.

What is the process or concerns around an "air-gapped" dHCI system? IHAC who does not want their array to communicate directly out and wants the ability to update via files that they specify.

Thanks.

Hello Sean,

At this time, we do not support this feature, but we are looking into different ways to support this type of update. If you respond with your email, I can address this in more detail.

Thanks and kind regards,

Fred

AndreasKr

Hi,

I have a question on the dhci update process.

What happens if DRS is not enabled in Vcenter? Does the DHCI Update ask for host evacuation?

Best regards,

Andreas

Hello Andreas,

During the pre-checks, dHCI will check if DRS is enabled. If it is not, it throws an error related to DRS. You can manually enable DRS and resume the update.

As of today, DRS is a requirement to use dHCI update feature.

I hope this answers your question.

Thanks and regards,

Fred