108757 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Hyper-V Core - iSCSI Setup

SOLVED
Go to solution
eysfilm136
Advisor

Hyper-V Core - iSCSI Setup

Anyone out there have a Nimble setup with Hyper-V Core?  I'm going to start some testing and wanted to see how people setup the the iSCSI through Hyper-V Core.  There is some links online but nothing directly related to Nimble.  Nimble doesn't have any notes on this either (yet).

Any input would be great.

Thanks in advance.

тАаShawn

6 REPLIES 6
Not applicable

Not applicable

This will also give you a GUI to work with, makes managing Core a whole lot easier:

http://coreconfig.codeplex.com/

eysfilm136
Advisor
Solution

Thanks for the links...  I was playing around with it the other day and managed to get it working.  Complied some notes for others.

Hope this helps someone else eventually...

тАаShawn

-------------------

The following goes through configuring a Nimble Storage Array for use with the free Hyper-V Server 2012 or Server 2012 Core.

Note:  You cannot install the MPIO features in the free Hyper-V version.

Note:  Prior to starting the following was completed.

1. Nimble SAN had an Initiator group created.
  2. The Hyper-V hostтАЩs iSCSI IQN was added to the initiator group.
  3. Nimble SAN has a volume (LUN) created and assigned to the new above initiator group.

1. Login to your server console and go to Command Prompt.
  2. Type тАШ  iscsicpl  тАЩ to launch the iSCSI Initiator.
  3. You will be prompted to start the Microsoft iSCSI service, click тАШYesтАЩ.
  4. Once the тАШiSCSI Initiator PropertiesтАЩ window appears, enter in your Nimble SAN IP address and click тАШQuick ConnectтАЩ.
  5. A тАШQuick ConnectтАЩ window will appear.  Select the devices and volumes to connect to and select тАШConnectтАЩ.  You should then see the тАЬProgress reportтАЭ show тАШLogin SucceededтАЩ.  Connect to all the required volumes.  
  6. Move to your management workstation and open Server Manager.
  7. Make sure your Hyper-V server is already added, if not be sure to add it.
  8. Browse to тАШFile and Storage Server > Volumes > DisksтАЩ.
  9. Find your server, and you will notice the new iSCSI disk is offline.
  10. Right-Click the disk and select тАШBring OnlineтАЩ.
  11. Agree to the warning message.
  12. Right-Click the disk and select тАШNew VolumeтАЩ.
  13. Run through the New Volume Wizard to create the new volume.

If your wanting to setup Multi-Path you can do so now (I was just running free Hyper-V so I couldn't set this up).

Notes

Install Nimble Windows Integration pack

1. Install .Net 3.5 Framework (from cmd)
    %WINDIR%\System32\WindowsPowerShell\v1.0\PowerShell.exe -command Import-Module ServerManager ;Add-WindowsFeature Net-Framework-Core
  2. Browse to server share where Nimble software is and run the EXE file.

Resources

rbrowne40
Occasional Advisor

Thanks Shawn - this was very useful.(Beats trying configure everything via iscsicli).

Good Job

pbitpro96
Advisor

MPIO can be added to Hyper-V 2012 R2 (the free hypervisor) because it is a feature, not a role.

No other roles can be added to this server.

Make sure your iSCSI initiator service is running (PowerShell or RSAT), run Install-WindowsFeature Multipath-IO (or use RSAT to add the feature), reboot, finish setting it up (timeouts, load-balancing, etc) and you are ready for MPIO goodness!

pranav_malvade

Hi Shawn,

Thanks for the details.

But I am getting stuck at step #5. When I provide IP address of my storage, it gives me error that Connection Failed.

I have WWN number configured on my SAN Switch and Nimble storage under initiator group but still it is failing.

Please guide.

Regards,

Pranav