108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: ProCurve 1800 VLAN Confusion

SOLVED
Go to solution
Audun

ProCurve 1800 VLAN Confusion

Hi.

I have just started working as an IT professional and I am a bit confused about the VLAN setup in ProCurve. On some of our switches I can choose spesifically if a port is supposed to be tagged or untagged. This I understand fine.
But recently we have purchased some 1800 switches, and it is theese that confuses me. I cannot choose 'tagged' or 'untagged' in the same way as in the other ones. I can only assign VLAN membership to a port and a PVID. Also, I don't understand the 'Packet type' option in VLAN port config.
Can someone please tell me how this works?

Thanks
4 REPLIES 4
Audun

I've done some more testing on theese units today and I will post my thoughts on the subject. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

1. If a port is member of multiple VLAN's, it'll SEND tagged packets and associciate recieved VLAN's with the selected PVID.

2. If a port is member of only one VLAN, it'll SEND untagged packets and only recieve untagged packets or tagged packets with the selected PVID.

I'm still a bit confused it seems...

Hello Audun.

I have exactly the same problems. Configuration of our other switches (2650, 2824) is so much easier. With the 1800 i can't connect any server or PC to my network. Do you have more experiences ?

Andreas
idnyc
Solution

With the 1800 and 1700 series:

PVID should be set to whatever you want your untagged port to be. So if you set the PVID to VLAN 1 and you have two other VLANs, those two other VLANs will be tagged and VLAN 1 will be untagged.

When the packet type is set to 'all', that port can receive both Tagged and Untagged packets and if it is set to 'tagged', the port can only send and receive Tagged packets.
Audun

Thanks idnyc, I got it now. To clarify, I'd like to write a bulleted list that should clear the issue for everyone else (agreed that the 2xxx series is easier to config):

When packet type is ALL:
1. The PVID VLAN on a port is untagged.
2. The member VLANs that are NOT PVID are tagged.

When packet type is TAGGED ONLY:
All member VLAN's are tagged, PVID doesn't apply.