Around the Storage Block
1758361 Members
2741 Online
108868 Solutions
New Article ๎ฅ‚
StorageExperts

The right tool for the job: HPE GreenLake for Block Storage for Oracle DBAs

Discover the benefits of using HPE GreenLake for Block Storage in Oracle RAC deployments.

โ€“By Richard Wuehler, Solutions Engineer, HPE Storage

Last December I received a nice new tool to help me work on my car. Itโ€™s a simple pry bar with a handle and metal cap on the end to hammer on. Having the right tools always makes a job so much easier โ€“ no more using a broom handle or undersized screwdriver as a pry bar! Thank you, Abby, for the gift.

HPE GreenLake for Block Storage is similar in that it provides another welcome tool to help Oracle database administersHPE GreenLake Block Storage-Orace-blog-HPE20160714161_800_0_72_RGB.png (DBAs) provision storage easier. What DBA wouldnโ€™t want that?

When I started testing HPE GreenLake for Block Storage, I was a little nervous about another way to run Oracle in a storage environment. However, features like the simple and intuitive intent-based provisioning with workload selections (such as Oracle Database Log), snapshot choices (such as 15-minutes), and integrated AI really sold me on HPE GreenLake for Block storage.

I work with several storage products and while I enjoy learning how to optimize each one for a particular application, shouldnโ€™t that be automated? Well, thatโ€™s exactly what HPE GreenLake Intent-based provisioning does. Intent-based provisioning allows me to quickly provision my own Oracle Real Application Clusters (RAC) storage and automatically optimize it for my application. This helps me to focus on Oracle deployment not storage.

Itโ€™s all about cloud agility...

HPE GreenLake for Block Storage and HPE Data Ops Manager provide cloud agility (the ability to rapidly develop, test and launch applications that drive business growth) from a single browser interface. They also give you the ability to pay as you grow. This saves you on over provisioning costs and helps your business achieve its bottom line. Data Ops Manager is used to create the host groups using either FC or iSCSI storage connectivity. These host groups are used in the Block Storage area to provision Oracle Database storage to. This allows you to easily deploy whichever protocol the business needs and is already in the datacenter.

...and 100% data availability

HPE GreenLake for Block Storage provides guaranteed 100% data availability for mission-critical Oracle deployments or six 9โ€™s data availability for business-critical and other Oracle deployments. As we all know, downtime means loss of revenue for your business. Why play with fire?  Choose a vendor that stands behind their uptime with a guarantee. Additionally, different performance tiers are available depending on the customers bandwidth and response time needs.*

Learn more

For additional information, please refer to the newly posted Oracle RAC deployment using HPE GreenLake for Block Storage paper that uses FC interconnect. And learn more about HPE Storage and Oracle solutions

Also check out these two new videos. The first covers how to add an iSCSI host to the HPE GreenLake Data Services Cloud Console.

The second is on self-service SQL Server Volume management for DBAs for HPE GreenLake for Block Storage as a service. This process is the same that I used when provisioning storage for my Oracle RAC application.

Any questions?

This is my first blog, so please jump in and provide feedback in the comments section for this blog. I am here to answer any questions that you might have on how to deploy Oracle on HPE GreenLake for Block Storage.

Thanks for reading!

* HPE GreenLake for Block Storage QuickSpecs

Richard Wuehler-HPE Storage .pngMeet Storage Expert blogger Richard Wuehler, Solutions Engineer, HPE Storage

Richard has been working with storage for over 20 years. Currently he is part of the HPE Storage Solutions Engineering team.

Storage Experts
Hewlett Packard Enterprise

twitter.com/HPE_Storage
linkedin.com/showcase/hpestorage/
hpe.com/storage

About the Author

StorageExperts

Our team of Hewlett Packard Enterprise storage experts helps you to dive deep into relevant infrastructure topics.