New Discussion юеВ

Re: NVMe RAID blade chassis BLc7000

SOLVED
Go to solution
jtejada
Advisor

NVMe RAID blade chassis BLc7000

Hi all, 

Does any blade model for BLc7000 chassis have the option to add a pair of NVMe drives in RAID1 and boot?

I see BLc460 Gen10 that is able to add NVMe drives but no RAID. 

I also see the option to add 2 x M.2 drives to boot but I don't know if this option permits to create a RAID. 

Quickspecs of the BLc460 Gen10 doesn't clarify these questions.

Thank you in advance,

9 REPLIES 9
shiva_jr
HPE Pro

Hi @jtejada ,

As mentioned in the quickspecs, I believe, HPE Special Enablement Kit (Page No.23) must be procured to make the NVMe SSD to be used with Raid controller. 
      Please refer the page no. 28 for supporting NVMe SSD drives.
Regards,
Shiva_JR
Please mark as 'Accepted solution'  and give me 'Kudos' if my post worked.

I work for HPE
[Any personal opinions expressed are mine, and not official statements on behalf of Hewlett Packard Enterprise]

Accept or Kudo

jtejada
Advisor

@shiva_jr 

Hi,

Just checked in the Smart Storage Aadministrator  NVMe drives are apperaing as "Other devices" with no option to setup RAID.

Regards,

shiva_jr
HPE Pro

Hi @jtejada ,

Please try this-
1) Verify that the installed NVMe drive is compatible with the Blade server ? 
2) What is the drive status in ILO ? If it is showing 'Unknown" update the iLO firmware.
3) Update the system firmware along with NVMe drives.
Regards,
Shiva_JR

I work for HPE
[Any personal opinions expressed are mine, and not official statements on behalf of Hewlett Packard Enterprise]

Accept or Kudo

jtejada
Advisor

Hi,

Yes, drives are P13672-B21 and all components were updated to latests with SUM. I am pretty sure this blade generation doesn't permit NVMe raid.

Regards,

Mr_Techie
Frequent Advisor

@jtejada wrote:

Hi,

I am pretty sure this blade generation doesn't permit NVMe raid.

Regards,

Could be possible. I'm not sure. I would say, contact the support team, they will be able to help with accurate information. 

Keep me updated.. 

jtejada
Advisor

Hi,

Checked with BL460c Gen10 and the 873373-B21 NVMe enablement kit there is no option to create raid with NVMe drives.

Regards,

Mr_Techie
Frequent Advisor

@jtejada 

There could be a limitation, my friend,. Better to contact the support and get the correct confirmation. 

jtejada
Advisor
Solution

Hi, I had the answer in other post.

The SSD NVMe architecture isn't tailored for hardware RAID, hence it lacks support for it. SSD NVMe drives are typically installed on PCIe cards and operate independently of storage controllers, which is why they don't support hardware RAID.
These drives are engineered for exceptionally high performance. Hardware RAID can only be configured when storage devices are directly connected to the storage controller.

Kindly let us know if you have the HPE Special Enablement Kits installed on the Gen10 blade server installed on the C7000. Since you have not shared us the model of the Gen10 blade server, We are unable to narrow down on the controllers installed.

HPE Synergy 12000 Frame will be the best option going forward .You can refer to the below link for a detailed explanation for Synergy 12000 frame.

Link : https://buy.hpe.com/us/en/synergy/synergy-infrastructure/synergy-frames/synergy-frames/hpe-synergy-12000-frame/p/1008615198

Regards,

Sunitha_Mod

Hello @jtejada,

That's Awesome! 

We are extremely glad to know you were able to find the solution and we appreciate you for keeping us posted. 

Thanks,
Sunitha G
I'm an HPE employee.
Accept or Kudo