HPE OneView
1758706 Members
2689 Online
108874 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

OneView upgrade 6.60->8.2: go or no go?

Cskollar

OneView upgrade 6.60->8.2: go or no go?

I have a time window to install the latest SSP (2023.03.01), but I am in a bit of a dilemma. Currently, we are on OneView 6.60.00, and my initial plan was to upgrade to 6.60.04 (+SSP 2023.03.01). However, I am now considering if it's a good time to move to 8.x instead...

All components are relatively new and supported by 8.2, including 480 Gen10 blades and Composer2 appliances.

What is the expected EOL/EOS time for the 6.6 LTS? Should I go to 8.x (following the proper install path) and don't look back? Or stay with the 6.6 for now because of the stability?

5 REPLIES 5
DanCernese
HPE Pro

Re: OneView upgrade 6.60->8.2: go or no go?

The EOS life for HPE OneView 6.60 LTS is documented here https://support.hpe.com/hpesc/public/docDisplay?docId=emr_na-a00117617en_us as ending updates December 2023.  

There is really no benefit to sticking with HPE OneView 6.60 LTS stream on Synergy if you already have Composer2 as you indicated.  There's nothing to be gained and there are non-critical bugs being fixed in current versions that do not go into the LTS stream unless they are serious.

I am an HPE Employee
[Any personal opinions expressed are mine, and not official statements on behalf of Hewlett Packard Enterprise]
Accept or Kudo
Cskollar

Thanks! Tthen I will go to 8.x.

Just a sidenote: I saw the mentioned document before, but from the perspective of Synergy, the EOS date in (December 2023) it's about the Composer Gen1 appliance and HPE Arista switch integration. If this is actually completely about the EOS of 6.6 LTS, please correct it, because it's a bit misleading. It's like there's an LTS branch that will not be discontinued this year, only older devices will be removed from it.

DanCernese
HPE Pro

Yes, I see how you could read it that way.  It was not our intention, I'll mention this to the owner.

I am an HPE Employee
[Any personal opinions expressed are mine, and not official statements on behalf of Hewlett Packard Enterprise]
Accept or Kudo
ChrisLynch
HPE Pro

We defined LTS on the page Dan provided as:

An HPE OneView long-term support (LTS) release extends support for select HPE hardware platforms.

Further down on the page, the HPE hardware platforms are spelled out specifically in a table.

HPE OneView 6.60 is classified as LTS for HPE Synergy Composer Gen1 and HPE BladeSystem c-Class only customers. If you do not have those solutions, the LTS release categorization will not apply here. We are borrowing the term LTS here to state the supported hardware platform and configuration is "locked", and we will no longer add feature enhancements to HPE OneView 6.60.

Starting with HPE OneView 5.20, we dropped our patching schedule to release every two months to include both product enhancements and bug/security fixes. HPE OneView 6.60 LTS product support will end on December 31, 2023. We do not publish any other type of support statement for HPE OneView 6.60 or any other release since HPE OneView 5.20.

When we refer to "support" here, this is separate from technical support entitlement, which always requires warranty or support contract.

I am an HPE employee

Accept or Kudo

dharanesha_e
Frequent Visitor