1754643 Members
3395 Online
108823 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Microserver Gen8 failed to power on

shooter556
Frequent Visitor

Microserver Gen8 failed to power on

I bought a 2nd hand server. There is no storage disk in it originally. I managed to attach an SSD to it using SATA slot.

iLo is 2.80 and BIOS is J06 (2014 or 2015 version I didn't remember it clearly, not the latest one)

I deployed esxi 7.0.3 today, and the server is running well for several hours.

Then I use ESXi to upgrade the iLo from 2.80 to 2.82 successfully. 2.82 iLo can be accessed I'm quite sure about this.

But about 15-20min later, the server suddenly shutdown without any sign. The LED turned to amber.

I try to press the power button, it flashes with green LED for about 10 seconds, then turn to amber again, 5 seconds later, blinking LED again for 10 secends, turn to amber ..... repeatedly.

And iLo cannot be accessed any more.

I tear apart the machine, unplug the SSD, unplug the raid card, remain only 1 DIMM slot (and changed another slot afterwards). Then try to power it again, but no luck, same issue.

Suspecting PSU issue, I try to use another good ATX PSU, still no luck, same issue.

I tried to replace another CPU --- originally it's E3-1220Lv2, I changed it into E3-1265Lv2 (I plan to replace it after doing some test), no luck, same issue.

I also attached monitor to the server, didn't show anything on the screen.

I heard that PSU's fan is spinnning, while green LED is blinking, but the sys fan didn't spin at all.

I also noticed that on the board, when power LED is blinking green, there is a green LED lights on, but shuts after 10 seconds.

Any idea about that?

Because of the 2nd hand, I'm ready the mainborad is fried (or some other parts) somehow.

3 REPLIES 3
feigenL
Respected Contributor

Re: Microserver Gen8 failed to power on

Hello there, have you tried clearing the NVRAM from the system board?

This is how to do it for Gen8 microserver:

1.png2.png

Best regards.

Luis Feigenblatt
shooter556
Frequent Visitor

Thank you, I will try that today later.

shooter556
Frequent Visitor

Ok, I tried swith 6 to on, power it, same issue.

Then I unplug the ac cord, trun 6 to off, plug the cord, same issue.

Also tried s1 s5 s6 to on, to use redundent ROM, same issue.

No luck, I think this machine may have some other HW issues, just didn't output any video, and restart repeatedly.