HPE 9000 and HPE e3000 Servers
1759663 Members
3598 Online
108886 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

LTO drives on a K460?

LTO drives on a K460?

I just got off the phone with the hardware line and they said that the LTO drives aren't supported on The K series. Is this correct? Anyone know why?
4 REPLIES 4
Robert_Jewell
Honored Contributor

Re: LTO drives on a K460?

The K class only has either SE-SCSI or Fast Wide Diff SCSI available. IF the LTO drives only are available in Low Voltage Diff then that would be the reason.

-Bob
----------------
Was this helpful? Like this post by giving me a thumbs up below!
Eugeny Brychkov
Honored Contributor

Cristopher,
in addition for LTO drives to have long life and good perfomance at least 15MB/s should be provided (see drive's specifications). It's important, because if provided data speed is lower then drive should "wait" to fill its buffer before writing a block, but when it's waiting, tape is moving forward and when finally drive want to write buffer contents to the tape tape should be rewinded a little back.... and so on with all blocks all te time.... So this will shock drive's machanical components, and if drive will work in these conditions it will die soon.
Eugeny
Vincent Farrugia
Honored Contributor

Hello,

It IS supported only if you have an HVD-to-LVD SCSI converter. Paralan makes one especially for LTO drives!

http://www.paralan.com/mh19.html

HTH,
Vince
Tape Drives RULE!!!
Ralf Loehmann_2
Valued Contributor

The reason, why it is not supported is the driver. The LTO drives are not supported on the tape2 driver (last supported drive is DLT 7000, also DLT 8000 is not supported). If you connect a LTO drive via a interface, which uses the stape driver I see no reason for a problem.
You could either use a HVDS LTO drive on a HSC SCSI card A2969A (One drive on a dedicated bus only with nothing else connected).
Or you can uses it on a fiber channel bridge on one of the fiberchannel adapters. Here it depands on the bridge you use, I would recommand to use it on one of the newer bridges than with an LVDS drive.
An SCSI interface for LVDS is not available and to put it on single ended makes no sense (to slow), but also the single ended interface is a HP-PB type, which uses tape2.

Sincerely,