108867 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

rp5470 upgrade cpu

SOLVED
Go to solution
Ahmed Hassan_1
Advisor

rp5470 upgrade cpu

I need to install more cpus in hp9000 server rp4750 (a6144b),I know the kit part NO. is 16805b,but my question
is there any additional fw I must order for adding more cpu ?and what is the necessary steps to do the upgrade?
HASSAN
6 REPLIES 6
Ravi_8
Honored Contributor

Re: rp5470 upgrade cpu

Hi

rp5470 can take maximum of 4 CPU's, you can't upgrade beyond that. If you have less CPU's(>4)
then you need to buy the CPU module from HP and HP personnel will do the install
never give up
KCS_1
Respected Contributor
Solution

Hi~

In my opinion, you have to firmware update before installed your cpu into your box.

after then,you can add more cpu until 4 cpu (maxium)if,cpu space is available,

I strongly recommend upgrade your firmware to 42.19 recently version of your rp5470 box why your box is may go down or any kinds of wrong behaivors cause by bugs of old version firmware.

good luck!!

Easy going at all.
Seth Parker
Trusted Contributor

One other item to look for is a processor support module (PSM). You need 1 PSM for each 2 processors. I couldn't find any info on the kit part# you mentioned, so I'm not sure if it contains one or not.

We're looking at adding an additional processor as well, and this came up. If you've already got 3 processors, you don't need to worry about it, but if you've only got 1 or 2 now, you'll need to check this.

Regards,
Seth
Dave Wherry
Esteemed Contributor

I think installation is included in the purchase price. If you damage anything during installation you would be responsible. Let HP do it.
Tim D Fulford
Honored Contributor

As a side issue... HP reccomend 1GB memory per CPU, so you may need like to think about adding more memory too. If you ad more memory, you will need more swap.

Tha above is not mandatory, just "good practice"

Tim
-
Brian M Rawlings
Honored Contributor

A couple of points on this:

1> If you have a currently running RP5470, you should not need to do anything to the firmware to add CPUs.

2> If you don't have the most recent PDC (firmware) for your RP5470, I agree with Patrick that you should upgrade, on general principles. I would do the PDC upgrade before fiddling with anything else (one change at a time is a good rule...) The download site for the most recent PDC patch is below:

http://www1.itrc.hp.com/service/patch/patchDetail.do?patchid=PF_CARIW4219&context=firmware:cpu

3> You need to add CPUs with the same clock speed as those you currently have. This box supports 550MHz, 650MHz, and 750MHz CPUs. If you know what you need (you seem to), great. If not, run this command to see what MHz CPUs you have:

echo itick_per_usec/D | adb -k /stand/vmunix /dev/kmem

You can also see this with SAM, look at system properties under the "performance monitor" section.

4> As pointed out, you may need a "processor support module", if you have two CPUs now. One is needed per each pair of CPUs. See this link to partsurfer for details, the product you need varies, based on CPU type:

http://partsurfer.hp.com/cgi-bin/spi/main?sel_flg=partlist&model=RP5470&HP_model=&modname=9000+Server+-+rp5470&template=secondary&plist_sval=Processor+Support&plist_styp=subcat&dealer_id=&keysel=Processor+Support&catsel=Chassis+Parts&ptypsel=X&strsrch=

Sorry about the length of the URL, hope it works. If not, go to partsurfer.hp.com, select your country, put in RP5470 as the product, then select 'processor support' under 'keyword search'.

5> CPUs are sold with installation included. You should let HP install them. The only issue here is that HP's 'included' install is 8-5, Monday through Friday. Most of us need them installed on the weekend at midnight, so... HP charges for their after-hours time. I'd still have them do it, too many quirky things can go wrong.

Regards, --bmr
We must indeed all hang together, or, most assuredly, we shall all hang separately. (Benjamin Franklin)