108876 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Dell PowerVault 136T tape library with HP-UX 11i

SOLVED
Go to solution
щЗСчЫ╛_2
Super Advisor

Dell PowerVault 136T tape library with HP-UX 11i

I have a Dell PV-136T Tape Library connected to a SAN across a Brocade SAN Switch,while 2 HP rp7410 servers also connected to the SAN.

I use Veritas Netbackup software,and there are several NT servers and HP-UX servers in the SAN,all of them need to access the tape library.

But when I run "ioscan -fn",it appears to be a lot of devices with the same type and description,"Dell PV-136T SNC" and "IBM Ultrium-2 TD-2 tape drive",but different H/W path. Sometimes they are "Claimed",sometimes "Unclaimed",sometimes "No H/W".

How can I use the PV-136T tape library in HP-UX 11i?

P.S. the Dell PV-136T have 4 drives.
5 REPLIES 5
Ashwani Kashyap
Honored Contributor

Is the zoning all set up correctly for the tape drives .

Is there a storage router in between the tape drives and the switches , then check the settings on the storage router that might be causing hpux to see the same drives on multiple paths .
щЗСчЫ╛_2
Super Advisor

zoning is done correctly.I think it should be the SCSI to FC router's setting problems.
Ashwani Kashyap
Honored Contributor
Solution

Yes . please go ahed and check that . also make sure that the Robotics is attached to SCSI ID 0 .
щЗСчЫ╛_2
Super Advisor

Another Dell's engineer corrected the configuration of the FC-SCSI router.
Now it's OK, thanks!
axelm

I agree, this might be related in the FC to SCSI bridge in the PV136.
You might need to check cabling and zoning for the SNC (Storage Network Controller), it has two FC ports and they can present the drives and the librarty twice to the OS since this is a just a FC hub (not a switch), they are only used for load balance, meaning that you can show all of the devices using one FC port or balance the load between the 2 FC ports.
FC1 library, TBU1, TBU2
FC2 TB3 and TBU4

It sounds like is presenting all of the devices via the 2 FC ports, plus if you have dual fabric (2 brocade switches connected) you might be seen the same devices bunch of times.