2907 Online
108889 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

HP EVA 5000

Sandeep Sanjao Figer
Frequent Advisor

HP EVA 5000

Hi,

I have a strange situation. We just renamed the default administrator account & changed the default password on the management server for HP EVA. I can now log into the eva through terminal server but not through browser. It comes with some odbc connect error. If I change the details back to original, everything is peace. Does anyone know if its something normal or is there some better way out.

Regards,
Sandeep
5 REPLIES 5
Stephen Kebbell
Honored Contributor

Re: HP EVA 5000

Hi,

It sounds to me like you changed the password directly under Windows, via iLO or Terminal session. You must do this via the Web Interface for the SMA, under the Users tab.

Regards,
Stephen
Sandeep Sanjao Figer
Frequent Advisor

Hi,
You were correct. We had changed the password through terminal session. Will try as per your suggestion.

Regards,
Sandeep
SAKET_5
Honored Contributor

Sandeep,

Could I just suggest that changing the administrator password on the SMA - may not be such a great idea if you have already configured various apps - OVSAM, etc - as some of those apps somehow tie with the admin password of the SMA. This is based on what I recall. You may want to check on this.

Regards,
Saket.

Sandeep Sanjao Figer
Frequent Advisor

Saket,

I think you are perhapes right as one of my colleague has issues trying to delete earlier created resource. In thst case what is the best option to change the password. Also, any update on Linux issue as I get access denied if I run those prob commands even with root account
SAKET_5
Honored Contributor

Sandeep,

Why do you need to rename the administrator account - you do realise that changing the administrator account name does not change its SID (security identifier) - as far as a hacker's intentions are concerned, he/she is likely to fire a program which uses the SID Value of 500 (for the admin account) - and not the "administrator" account_name. Sorry, I am against this idea if you tell me - changing the administrator account name makes your system more secure. Have had discussions with MS Security consultants and although you will find conflicting documentation around the place - it is not a good idea!

If you are just setting up your SMA, change the admin password - look for like 10 other passwords assuming you are running OVSAM, MoM, etc and from a simpler account management perspective, make them all the same.

The above statement may not sound very good if you weigh it up against corporate security speech - but the idea is your SMA should not be on a public network anyway - it is there to manage your storage - just have your selected storage people access to it - hide it with layers of firewalls :-)

Hope, it helps.