New Discussion

Re: HPE Oneview 6.60.07 -> 7.0 upgrade

SOLVED
Go to solution
adamdb_uk
Frequent Advisor

HPE Oneview 6.60.07 -> 7.0 upgrade

Hi,

Hoping someone can confirm my thoughts regarding an update of OneView from 6.60.07 -> 7.0 

I have logged a case for the customer but so far no response (well over a week) from HPE support. I logged the case against some valid HPE server hardware with an active service contract as I don't know their SAID/System Handle.

This customer has an extensive HPE estate comprising of GEN10 servers, C7000, switches etc, 

The query raised by the customer is in regard to upgrading OneView for legacy release 6.60.07 to 7.0. When the customer attempts this they receive the following error:

Check Appliance Configuration Perform precheck validations Unable to Update appliance
Issue - The appliance update failed because it contains resources of the following types that are not supported with the update release: Enclosure Groups Enclosure Resolution - Remove all resources of these types before attempting to update again. Refer to the updates release notes and support matrix for more information about support platforms.
Issue - The appliance update failed because it contains resources of the following types that are not supported with the update release: Logical Interconnect Groups
Resolution - Remove all resources of these types before attempting to update again. Refer to the updates release notes and support matrix for more information about support platforms.
Issue - Unable to Update the appliance because one or more prechecks did not pass validation. Resolution - Review the issue(s) listed, perform the resolution(s) and then retry the update. ------------

I've advised the customer that legacy hardware (such as C7000 and BL460c and similar) are not supported in the 7.0 onward releases  and directed them to the appropriate whitepaper which details this information (HPE OneView 7.0 Server Migration Guide technical white paper-a50006368enw.pdf).

I suspect this to be the cause of the issue.  Basically the whitepaper suggests standing up a new OneView appliance and then migrating over the supported elements into the 7.x version and leaving the legacy components in the 6.60.07 version.

I am waiting on HPE to confirm this to the customer so the call can be closed but thought I'd try on here as well to see if anyone may be able to advise. 

thanks

Adam.

3 REPLIES 3
DanCernese
HPE Pro

The only thing to confirm is whether or not HPE OneView has incorrectly detected some legacy piece of hardware configuration or not.

Under the assumption that there is not a bug.. ..basically do what it says (and what you concluded).  There is no excuse for lack of response from our support.

I am an HPE Employee
[Any personal opinions expressed are mine, and not official statements on behalf of Hewlett Packard Enterprise]
Accept or Kudo
ChrisLynch
HPE Pro
Solution

As Dan stated, if the appliance contains "legacy" hardware (mainly HPE BladeSystem c-Class c7000 infrastructure), the update to 7.0 will be blocked.  Does not matter if the hardware is monitored or managed.  Supported server hardware can and should be migrated using the Server Migration feature to a 7.0 through 8.0 appliance.  Then, they can update the appliance to newer OneView releases.

For reference, we call the 6.60 release Long Term Support (LTS) in name only.  This means no new features, only addressing critical bugs or critical security vulnerabilities until Dec 31, 2023 (which was last year).  We have no other release currently or planned to be classified as LTS.  You can direct your customer to this HPE OneView Product Lifecycle page for more details on the 6.60 LTS release and forward.

I am an HPE employee

Accept or Kudo

adamdb_uk
Frequent Advisor

Yes, thanks for confirming. As per the whitepaper the supported elements just need to be migrated accross. Hopefully support will actually pick up the case soon and I can be rid of it. Appreciate the confirmation guys.