Lost communication between the OVCs and vCenter

SOLVED
Go to solution
AleksandarPeev
Advisor

Lost communication between the OVCs and vCenter

Hi guys,

I have a new conundrum.

I can no longer ssh log in to the OVCs with my vcenter credentials (like administrator@vsphere.local).

I can log in with svtcli with no problems but when I do svt-session-start, I get the following error:

Error: Error connecting to server at '10.40.64.46': Thrift::TTransportException error: Thrift::Socket: timed out reading from 127.0.0.1:9097 (code 3)

The IP there is the IP of the vCenter.

As far as I can tell the cluster is operating nominally svt-vm-show --emergency and svt-federation-show --emergency do show that all is correctly synced and the $SVTLOG does not show anything critical ..

I was checking the network and firewalls, and so far I have not found anything that blocks the connection to the vCenter.

The vCenter can contact the hosts with no issues and manage them.

I tried the dsv-digitalvault-reset and dsv-digitalvault-vcenter-update.

The error there is similar...

We are on version 4.1.2

I need any ideas on how to further troubleshoot the issue.

It is not a pressing thing, but it indicates a possible outage.

Regards

4 REPLIES 4
Mahesh202
HPE Pro
Solution

Re: Lost communication between the OVCs and vCenter

Hi AleksandarPeev

I suspect that there might be a connection problem between the OVC and the server at IP address '10.40.64.46', which appears to be a local address (127.0.0.1) on port 9097.

I suggest you try the below troubleshooting steps:

1. Check the network connectivity between the OVC and the server at IP address '10.40.64.46'. Ensure that there are no firewalls or other networking devices blocking the connection.
2. Verify that the server at IP address '10.40.64.46' is up and running and that the service you are trying to connect to is also running.
3. If the issue still persists, you may want to get in touch with HPE SimpliVity tech support for further assistance in checking the logs for any errors or warnings that might provide more information about the issue. Look for logs related to SSH or the svt-session-start command.
4. Try running the svt-session-start command with the --debug option to see more detailed debugging output.

Hope this helps.!!

Regards
Mahesh

If you feel this was helpful please click the KUDOS! thumb below!

I work for HPE.
[Any personal opinions expressed are mine, and not official statements on behalf of Hewlett Packard Enterprise]

Accept or Kudo

support_s
System Recommended

Query: Lost communication between the OVCs and vCenter

System recommended content:

1. HPE OneView for VMware vCenter 11.0 User Guide

Please click on "Thumbs Up/Kudo" icon to give a "Kudo".

Thank you for being a HPE valuable community member.

Accept or Kudo

AleksandarPeev
Advisor

Hi,

Thank you for a great suggestion!

I did not know that the --debug is an option on svt-session-start !

Apparently it was a network device that hindered the traffic. Strangely enough its heuristics decided that the traffic should be blocked... selectively...

Just for the record, the network device is made by a company that I shall not name but hint to with a wordle like hint

C...p...t

Mahesh202
HPE Pro

Hi AleksandarPeev

I'm glad to hear that you were able to identify and resolve the issue with the communication between your HPE SimpliVity OVCs and vCenter. It's unfortunate that a network device was causing the problem and selectively blocking the traffic.
This type of issue can be difficult to troubleshoot and resolve, but it sounds like you were able to work through it and restore connectivity.

If you have any further issues or concerns, don't hesitate to reach out for assistance.

Regards
Mahesh

If you feel this was helpful please click the KUDOS! thumb below!

I work for HPE.
[Any personal opinions expressed are mine, and not official statements on behalf of Hewlett Packard Enterprise]

Accept or Kudo