108830 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: Smart update tools version error

SOLVED
Go to solution
Kerry Quillen
Regular Advisor

Smart update tools version error

I am getting this message when trying to apply ssp 2023.10.01 to SY-480-Gen10 servers: "Firmware and drivers update using Smart Update Tools cannot be done
with the selected ServicePack and the Smart Update Tools version detected on the server. Resolution Install Smart Update Tools version 2.4.0.0 or newer and
retry the firmware update by selecting a ServicePack that contains a Smart Update Manager (SUM) version of 8.4.0 or newer."

Frames has Composer1's installed running version 6.60.06.
Servers are vmhosts running esxl 7.0.3.
SUT mode is AutoDeploy.
SUT version installed was 3.0.0.0
Server had ssp 2022.11 installed prior.

This is the same procedure that I've followed for years: edit the template w/ new spp and update profile from the template.
To troubleshoot I changed the server baseline ssp to 2023.01 and it completed with no errors. This updated SUT to version 4.0.0.0.
Tried ssp 2023.10 again and got the same failure.
Repeated the process with ssp 2023.05 then 2023.08. Each worked successfully and ended up with SUT version 4.2.0.0.
Tried 2023.10 again with but still no luck.
Upgraded only SUT to 4.6.0.1 but still fails applying ssp 2023.10.
I have another identical setup at another data center and got the same results there.

I have a case with HPE open but looking for further suggestions

5 REPLIES 5
shiva_jr
HPE Pro

Hi Kerry Quillen,

Plan A : Please try to install the latest SPP at first, if any issue persists, install SPP without SUT so that it can update the system except SUT.
After that you can update it to latest SUT version.
Plan B: Update the SUT first, after that you can update the system excluding the SUT.
If you are unable to execute plan A or B, please reply with the issue or error if any.

Regards,
Shiva_JR
Please mark as 'Accepted solution' if my post worked

I work for HPE
[Any personal opinions expressed are mine, and not official statements on behalf of Hewlett Packard Enterprise]

Accept or Kudo

thutchings
HPE Pro
Solution

Hello,

Can you confirm when this newer SSP was uploaded to Oneview? There is a known problem if it was added to OV prior to it being upgraded to 6.60.04 or later, then it may fail. The problem in the advisory is usually seen when performing offline updates, since that is more common, but it can show up while using SUT also. When using SUT this can manifest as a comunication problem between SUM in Oneview being able to talk with SUT running in the host OS.

https://support.hpe.com/hpesc/public/docDisplay?docLocale=en_US&docId=a00131204en_us

SUM is imported into OV when you import a new SSP/baseline. The new version of SUM in 2023.03, and later, causes an issue with "older" versions of Oneview. If this IS the problem, then the best way to address this is to remove the new SSP and readd it, then retry your updates.

Regards

I am an HPE Employee.
[Any personal opinions expressed are mine, and not official statements on behalf of Hewlett Packard Enterprise]
Accept or Kudo
Kerry Quillen
Regular Advisor

The ssp's were uploaded to oneview when it was at version 6.60.02.  I then upgraded to 6.60.06 and tried to apply ssp 2023.10.  HPE supports last suggestion was to remove all firmware bundles from Oneview, reboot it and add 2023.10 back.  I'll be working on that this afternoon.

Kerry Quillen
Regular Advisor

That appears to have resolved the problem.  Thanks.

Sunitha_Mod

Hello @Kerry Quillen,

That's awesome! 

We are extremely glad to know the problem has been resolved. 

Thanks,
Sunitha G
I'm an HPE employee.
Accept or Kudo