New Discussion юеВ

IMC - Connecting to the database failed

SOLVED
Go to solution
Heiko42
Visitor

IMC - Connecting to the database failed

Hi all,

we have atm in our company already an IMC Version that is running on an old MSSQL 2008 Server so we wanted to rebuild everything on an newer sql server.

Before we start with the update, we wanted to try it in an vm but this time with an mysql server on an linux system.

Even after following a lot of guides, i weren`t able to install it cause of an error message that sais:

"Connecting to the database failed. Make sure that the database is running normally and you have input correct login information."

I have tested it on RHEL and Debian. Still no luck.

Tested Versions:

iMC_PLAT_7.3_E0605_Standard_Linux

iMC_PLAT_7.3_E0703_Standard_Linux

MySQL Community Server 5.6.45 - MySQL-server-5.6.45-1.el7.x86_64.rpm & MySQL-client-5.6.45-1.el7.x86_64.rpm

MySQL Community Server 5.7.27- mysql-community-server-5.7.27-1.el7.x86_64.rpm & mysql-community-client-5.7.27-1.el7.x86_64.rpm

CentOS-7  &  Debian 10 Buster

Guides:

https://support.hpe.com/hpsc/doc/public/display?docId=emr_na-a00075555en_us&docLocale=en_US

https://support.hpe.com/hpsc/doc/public/display?docId=emr_na-c05367560

https://support.hpe.com/hpsc/doc/public/display?docId=emr_na-c05367557

My question is... What Am I doing wrong?

Hope someone can help because I already wasted enough time with this...

6 REPLIES 6
jguse
HPE Pro
Solution

Re: IMC - Connecting to the database failed

Hello,

If you decide to move from MSSQL to MySQL, please be aware the database migration will not be possible. It will only work from MSSQL to MSSQL versions or MySQL to MySQL versions (older to newer is OK, newer back to older can cause issues).

As for getting your IMC on Linux with MySQL working, keep in mind that only RHEL 7.x is officially supported for HPE IMC on Linux. That includes subordinate IMC servers and DB as well. CentOS can also work, but isn't officially supported.

There are unfortunately a few improvements needed on the official guides. I'm aware that the documentation folks are working on some updated guides, but I don't know when they will be ready.

In the meantime, please check out this YT video tutorial: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ymz-I9F4Hko

I'd suggest following all the steps there, even though it is CentOS the same process will work on RHEL.

If you prefer to use MySQL 5.7 instead of 5.6, here is a working /etc/my.cnf file you can use with IMC:

# This file has all unnecessary comments and options removed.
# For advice on how to change settings please see
# <a href="http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.7/en/server-configuration-defaults.html" target="_blank">http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.7/en/server-configuration-defaults.html</a>

[client]
port		= 3306
socket		= /var/lib/mysql/mysql.sock

[mysqld]
port		= 3306
socket		= /var/lib/mysql/mysql.sock

symbolic-links=0

log-error=/var/log/mysqld.log
pid-file=/var/run/mysqld/mysqld.pid

server-id = 1
user = mysql
bind_address = 0.0.0.0
autocommit =1
character_set_server=latin1
skip_name_resolve =1
max_connections = 800
max_connect_errors = 1000
datadir = /var/lib/mysql
transaction_isolation = READ-COMMITTED
explicit_defaults_for_timestamp =1
join_buffer_size = 134217728
tmp_table_size = 67108864
tmpdir = /tmp
max_allowed_packet = 200M
sql_mode = "STRICT_TRANS_TABLES,NO_ENGINE_SUBSTITUTION,NO_ZERO_DATE,NO_ZERO_IN_DATE,ERROR_FOR_DIVISION_BY_ZERO,NO_AUTO_CREATE_USER"
interactive_timeout = 1800
wait_timeout = 1800
read_buffer_size = 16777216
read_rnd_buffer_size = 33554432
sort_buffer_size = 33554432
default-storage-engine = INNODB
lower_case_table_names = 1

########IMC deployment issue workaround########
validate_password_policy=LOW
validate_password_special_char_count=0
validate_password_length=0
validate_password_mixed_case_count=0
validate_password_number_count=0

########log settings########
log_error = error.log
slow_query_log = 1
slow_query_log_file = slow.log
log_queries_not_using_indexes = 1
log_slow_admin_statements = 1
log_slow_slave_statements = 1
log_throttle_queries_not_using_indexes = 10
expire_logs_days = 90
long_query_time = 2
min_examined_row_limit = 100

########replication settings########
master_info_repository = TABLE
relay_log_info_repository = TABLE
log_bin = bin.log
sync_binlog = 1
gtid_mode = on
enforce_gtid_consistency = 1
log_slave_updates
binlog_format = row
relay_log = relay.log
relay_log_recovery = 1
binlog_gtid_simple_recovery = 1
slave_skip_errors = ddl_exist_errors

########innodb settings########
innodb_page_size = 16384
innodb_buffer_pool_size = 512M
innodb_buffer_pool_instances = 8
innodb_buffer_pool_load_at_startup = 1
innodb_buffer_pool_dump_at_shutdown = 1
innodb_lru_scan_depth = 2000
innodb_lock_wait_timeout = 5
innodb_io_capacity = 4000
innodb_io_capacity_max = 8000
innodb_flush_method = O_DIRECT
innodb_file_format = Barracuda
innodb_file_format_max = Barracuda
innodb_log_group_home_dir = ./
innodb_undo_directory = ./
innodb_undo_logs = 128
innodb_undo_tablespaces = 0
innodb_flush_neighbors = 1
innodb_log_file_size = 512M
innodb_log_buffer_size = 16777216
innodb_purge_threads = 4
innodb_large_prefix = 1
innodb_thread_concurrency = 64
innodb_print_all_deadlocks = 1
innodb_strict_mode = 1
innodb_sort_buffer_size = 67108864

########semi sync replication settings########
plugin_dir=/usr/lib64/mysql/plugin/
plugin_load = "rpl_semi_sync_master=semisync_master.so;rpl_semi_sync_slave=semisync_slave.so"
loose_rpl_semi_sync_master_enabled = 1
loose_rpl_semi_sync_slave_enabled = 1
loose_rpl_semi_sync_master_timeout = 5000

[mysqld-5.7]
innodb_buffer_pool_dump_pct = 40
innodb_page_cleaners = 4
innodb_undo_log_truncate = 1
innodb_max_undo_log_size = 2G
innodb_purge_rseg_truncate_frequency = 128
binlog_gtid_simple_recovery=1
log_timestamps=system
transaction_write_set_extraction=MURMUR32
show_compatibility_56=on

[mysqldump]
quick
single-transaction

Note that you do not need the deployment issue workaround settings if you have installed MySQL manually - it is only needed when MySQL was installed using YUM. That's because YUM installing MySQL will pre-install the password_validation plugin, which causes an issue when deploying IMC components.

Hope that helps.

Best regards,
Justin

Working @ HPE
Accept or Kudo
Heiko42
Visitor

Hello jguse, many thanks for ur answer. I`m aware of the migration problems but its time to build everything from scratch. Debian was only an test after triyng the official tutorials without luck. So... CentOS 7 MySQL 5.7 iMC_Plat_7.3_E0703_Linux This combination should work, right? I was using 5.6 cause to be sure about compatibility but would like to have an uptodate system if we start to rebuild everything. About RHEL 7.x and licenses. Does exists an free version compatible with IMC too? Im not that familiar with RHEL. Best regards
jguse
HPE Pro

Hello,

CentOS means Community Enterprise OS, and implies that it is community-driven and supported. It is essentially Red Hat with some minor config differences, and the major difference of lacking any official support. That's also the primary reason CentOS isn't supported with IMC.

RHEL is intended for enteprises that require such official support, and requires a license (subscription) in order to download packages and updates for the OS ('yum'). It is the only Linux distribution that IMC supports.

That said, if you really don't require official support for IMC, then using the latest CentOS 7.x will also work. IMC 7.3 E0703  supports only 7.x, dropping support for 6.x in this version due to OpenJDK 11.

Assuming you use a proper MySQL configuration file for IMC like the one I've posted, and configure a root user according to the documentation (all privileges and grant option), using 5.6 or 5.7 is entirely up to you, they are both compatible. (8.0 support will be added in the future, I can confirm that doesn't work yet)

Best regards,
Justin

Working @ HPE
Accept or Kudo
Heiko42
Visitor

Hey Justin, ty for the detailed answer. I will try this later. An last question. So as I understood, the CentOS 8 isnt supported with IMC 7.3 right? Best regards, Alex
jguse
HPE Pro

Hello,

CentOS 8.x isn't even released yet, as far as I know it's still in early development or beta. RHEL 8.0 was only released very recently, and it takes time for CentOS to 'catch up'. 7.7 is the latest official release and should work.

Best regards,
Justin

Working @ HPE
Accept or Kudo
Heiko42
Visitor

Hey Justin,

many thanks for your support. I was finaly able to bring it to work after some hours.

Finaly it seams to work as it should.

Wish u a nice day.