Netservers
1758613 Members
2718 Online
108874 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: HP Netserver LC2000

Mike Cocker

HP Netserver LC2000

I have a Netserver that has a flashing red fan light. What does this normally mean and how should I resolve it? Since I have already replace a RAID drive and a tape drive, should I look into a new server option or should I try and repair this new problem?

Thanks

Mike
4 REPLIES 4
Torsten.
Acclaimed Contributor

Looks like a failed fan.
Do you get some error codes after POST?

Hope this helps!
Regards
Torsten.

If you feel this was helpful please click the KUDOS! thumb below!   
Mike Cocker

I haven't tried a reboot yet, but I will do so tonight. I'll let you know ASAP.

Thanks
kris rombauts
Honored Contributor

Mike,

their are several ways to figure out what is wrong, some online and others offline.

If this system runs Windows and has the management agents (TopTools) installed, you can verify online why the red led is on.

Check in your Instant TopTools web browser based pages and drill down to the Eventlog
or just check which area has a warning/error.

You can also check your System or Application error logfile in Windows but their will only be errors logged if the necessry s/w to monitor your server is installed.

To add the Instant TopTools s/w, check here:
http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/SoftwareIndex.jsp?lang=en&cc=us&prodNameId=62573&prodTypeId=15351&prodSeriesId=50440&swLang=13&taskId=135&swEnvOID=226#93109

If you can't use any of the above because it isn't running Windows , their is a posibility to read the hardware log when you boot from the HP Netserver Navigator cdrom but that is a offline method obviously.

Another online method that is independent of the Operating System is only possible if you have a TopTools Remote Control Card installed in one of the PCI slots, log on to the card and read the hardware log or check the fan speed to see if their is a fan with problems.

HTH

Kris
Sean T. Craig
Honored Contributor

Hi Mike,

Use Instant TopTools as Kris suggests. Likely the problem is one of the fans in your fan module. There are 4 fans in this unit and you should be able to funtion normally even with the failure. The utility will not only show your fan speeds but also your temperature sensor readings. If you are within tolerance, you can continue to operate. If you are planning on replacing the server in the near future, don't spend any money replacing a redundant fan.

Hope this helps,

Sean T. Craig Sr. C.E.T., M.C.P.

I am King...of my apartment.