108813 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Netserver LH4r-New Win2k Svr Install hangs on restart or shutdown

SOLVED
Go to solution
Randy Kuite
Occasional Advisor

Netserver LH4r-New Win2k Svr Install hangs on restart or shutdown

Netserver LH4r-New Win2k Svr Install hangs on restart or shutdown.

I have (now) two HP Netserver LH4r's that I am upgrading from Windows NT to WIndows 2000 Server. Both were wiped clean and then Windows 2000 was installed clean from the Windows 2000 installation CD (did not use navigator).

The systems were fine and would restart and shutdown fine until sometime when updating the OS to the latest application revisions and security releases via Windows Update.

When you go to either shutdown or restart the system goes to a black screen and only an underline cursor is visible in the very upper left hand corner of the console. I have waited for over an hour with no activity. When I cycle power the server starts fine.

ANY IDEAS ON THIS ONE?

Any help is greatly appreciated.
-Randy
beware of programmers that carry screwdrivers...
6 REPLIES 6
Bryan Eley
Trusted Contributor

Randy,

This is likely a very long shot, but might be worth a quick check...APM didn't get enabled by the 2000 installation did it? According to Microsost (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/242495/EN-US/), an inability to shut down the computer could be due to APM being enabled on multi-processor systems.
Randy Kuite
Occasional Advisor

Thanks for the input. Both systems appear as ACPI Multiprocessor PC in device manager.

I have also reloaded Windows 2000 Service Pack 4 and flipped switch #5 on the system board to clear cmos (nvram). Nothing so far has worked.

Ouch.
-Randy
clausw
Frequent Advisor

do you also have installed the bios and firmwareupdates for the hardware ?
use the latest driverpackage and Toptools Agents ?
If you use the internal Raidcontroller, check config of channels in bios.
cpw
Dusan Ignjatovic_1

Did you ever resolve this issue? I've got the exact same problem on an LXr8000. It's driving me insane!!! I've tried installing with the Navigator CD, no luck. I've tried pinpointing which software install caused the hang up, no luck. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Dusan
Randy Kuite
Occasional Advisor

I actually resolved the issue today. I booted into safe mode and verified the system could restart successfully in safe mode. On the second safe mode restart, I went into the systemroot folder (WINNT on my server) and reviewed the NTBTLOG.TXT file. The TechNote I found on TechNet had me to parse through the unloaded driver list one by one. On my system the conflict was PCAnywhere v11.0 of all things. I unstalled PCAnywhere v11 and restarted the server. It hung the first time after uninstalling but I cycled power and then restarted again and the problem was gone! I reverted back to PCAnywhere version v10.5 thereafter and the problem has not returned. I have 4 older HP Netservers, all running Win2k Server, and PCAnywhere v11.0 that exude this problem. It always hasn't been the case so perhaps some update via Windows Update and PCAnwhere haven't meshed well?

Dunno. Really weird one. I plan to call and report to both HP Software support and Symantec Support once things calm down on my end.

Best of luck to you.
-Randy
Dusan Ignjatovic_1
Solution

THANK YOU !!!

PCAW v11 was the problem on my LXr8000 also. I thought I had eliminated that possiblity when I first uninstalled v11 but I did not restart more than once. I saw that it hung after the uninstall so I moved on to other possible causes. Thanks again for the help!

Dusan