New Discussion юеВ

SecurePath on DL380G4 NAS?

SOLVED
Go to solution
Vipul_2
Advisor

SecurePath on DL380G4 NAS?

Hi ,

Basically iam trying to give a Active-Passive cluster solution to a customer. It involves a 2 node cluster of DL380 NAS boxes with MSA1500 as the external storage box. I wanted NSPOF solution i.e. two FC Switch, 2 HBA on each NAS box, etc

I was wandering if this was possible?

1. DO this NAS box allow installation of the "SecurePath" software on this DL380 with Windows Storage server 2003?

2. Or should i be giving a single switch solution (since i have a active-passive solution) ..i was confused on this part.

Thanks & Regards ,
Vip
10 REPLIES 10
Uwe Zessin
Honored Contributor

Re: SecurePath on DL380G4 NAS?

Hello Vip,

1) you might check which DL380 storage server is involved. If I recall correctly, some do even include a Secure Path license!

2) Active/Standby works a bit different than you might think. You might use a single switch with zoning the MSA controllers apart, but you still need two Fibre Channel adapter ports per server together with Secure Path. For an NSPOF solution you do need two switches.
Vipul_2
Advisor

Hi Uwe ,

The NAS will be DL380G4 storage server - SAN model. It ontains 2 node of DL380G4 along with StorageWorks NAS cluster Kit (Any idea what this software is ?)

Why do i need 2HBA per NAS box when taking only single switch?

How do i achieve NSPOF when the controller on MSA1500 has only single FC port .. a single port can conect to only single FC Switch.

Thanks for the help.

Regards ,
Vipul Bhadra
Uwe Zessin
Honored Contributor

Hm, I thought you were trying to build a NSPOF solution?

An MSA1500 NSPOF configuration requires 2 controllers in the controller shelf. Each controller goes to a separate Fibre Channel switch. Each server has two Fibre Channel adapter ports that go to each Fibre Channel switch. You need Secure Path on the server for path failover.
Vipul_2
Advisor

Hi Uwe ,

Thanks for your help.

It is a NSPOF solution ... that is .. Two Number of Dl380g4 storage server (NAS ) in active-passive cluster .. sharing a common storage box (ie. MSA1500).

I was faced with the problem that ... Securepath does not mention that it supports Windows Storage 2003 OS ... also the OS on this NAS box can only install Backup and antivirus software .. is this right?

So can i inistall securepath on this NAS boxes?

Are this controller on MSA1500 in active-passive mode (as in MSA1000) ?

Thanks again for your help.

Regards ,
Vip
Uwe Zessin
Honored Contributor

To me, NSPOF means redundancy at the storage side, too. Two storage servers won't help you if your only Fibre Channel switch or array controller fails and you can't feed two Fibre Channel adapter ports from one server to the same controller. You might want to search the ITRC for threads from people who have tried this and failed or trust my word ;-)

http://h18000.www1.hp.com/products/quickspecs/12099_div/12099_div.HTML
--
Included Software: HP StorageWorks SecurePath

Included with the HP ProLiant DL380 G4 SAN Storage Model (371227-B21) only.

Although it is the world-wide specifications I don't know if they apply to you.

It is my understanding that you can install all Software that has passed the 'Veritest'(?) suite, but the rules might have changed on the latest NAS offerings, again.

The MSA1500 controller shelf uses MSA1000 controller modules with a slightly higher firmware version, but as far as I can tell it works in Active/Standby like the MSA1000 storage array. Active/Standby implies having two controllers.
Vipul_2
Advisor

Hi Uwe ,

Thanks for your reply. I get your point.
But i can do a limited NSPOF..having dual connection from each box .. onto two FC Switches... but only one MSA1500

for SPOF solution : Can i directly attach two NAS boxes directly to the two ports (MSA1500 with 2 controllers)... i will conect the active NAS box to the active controller and the inactive NAS box to the inactive controller on the MSA.... will this be a accepotable solution for a active-passive cluster solution.

Regards ,
Vipul Bhadra
Uwe Zessin
Honored Contributor
Solution

No, that will not work. You cannot build something that looks a bit like a geographically dispersed cluster with an MSA. Both nodes need equal access to both controllers.
Vipul_2
Advisor

Hi Uwe ,

i appreciate your kind help. thanks.

So how do i share a single MSA1500 across two NAS boxes in active-passive cluster ....im open to both SPOF or NSPOF solutions.

Rgds ,
Vip
Uwe Zessin
Honored Contributor

NSPOF:

1x MSA1500 with two controllers
2x Fibre Channel switch

Each MSA1000 controller goes to one Fibre Channel switch (2 cables total).

2x NAS server with 2 Fibre Channel adapter ports and Secure Path software.

Each adapter port of a server goes to a Fibre Channel switch (4 cables total)

Both Fibre Channel switches will NOT be connected.

-----
SPOF:

1x MSA1500 with one controller which goes to one Fibre Channel switch.

2x NAS sever, each with one Fibre Channel adapter port which goes to the same Fibre Channel switch.

3 cables total. No Secure Path software.