108929 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

change password

SOLVED
Go to solution
Jairo Campana
Trusted Contributor

change password

somebody knows a sotware graphic or script so that the users can change passsword en the server unix remote

Thanks
legionx
6 REPLIES 6
Jeff Machols
Esteemed Contributor

Re: change password

I just got through try to do that, it won't work. The only thing you can you do is get the expect program and write a wrapper for it. If you get the program I can send you the wrapper script
Helen French
Honored Contributor

hey,

R u looking for script, which helps ur user to change their password ?

Shiju
Life is a promise, fulfill it!
Deshpande Prashant
Honored Contributor

HI
I guess you are looking for a utility for users to change password with out actually loging in.
If you have x-emulation software installed on desktops, configure it to use #xterm -e "passwd" command.
This will pop up a window to change password.

Thanks.
Prashant.
Take it as it comes.
Wodisch
Honored Contributor

Hello Jairo,

the only solution (using standard tools) I can think of, would be a DeskTop KornShell script (for the GUI part) wrapped around "remsh" and "passwd".
But that would need "equivalency" of the hosts running that script and the hosts where the password should be modified, and then no password would be needed at all...
To automate a remote login with password you will need to use "expect", which is a "TCL" passed tool, and then it would be easier to use "TCL/Tk" for the whole thing, instead of "dtksh".

Just my $0.02,
Wodisch
Hartmut Lang
Trusted Contributor

Can't you use NIS to do this job?
Steven Sim Kok Leong
Honored Contributor
Solution

Hi,

I agree with Hartmut, NIS or NIS+ should be the ideal solution in such cases.

To change your password remotely, execute

# yppasswd userid

Hope this helps. Regards.

Steven Sim Kok Leong
Brainbench MVP for Unix Admin
http://www.brainbench.com

PS. Have been wanting to post this last week but the Forum was "unwriteable". Almost forgotten this posting.