108837 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

dtpad during telnet session

SOLVED
Go to solution
Theresa Patrie
Regular Advisor

dtpad during telnet session

OK, I know you guys love this stuff, so I think I've got a good one for you! When I telnet into my standalone web server and invoke /usr/dt/bin/dtpad to edit a file, I have permission problems. My user account from the initial machine is "patriet" and the account that I use on the web server is "aasswm". The UID for patriet is 2046 and there is no patriet account on the web server. So, I telnet to the web server using the aasswm account and password. If I "vi" a file, it gets created with the aasswm ownership, but if I "/usr/dt/bin/dtpad" a file, it gets created with 2046 ownership. Somehow, dtpad thinks that I am "patriet" instead of "aasswm", so I cannot access aasswm files. Any ideas??
This is my easy job!
4 REPLIES 4
Alex Glennie
Honored Contributor
Solution

Re: dtpad during telnet session

out of interest what happens if you call /usr/dt/bin/dtpad -standAlone instead ...any change ....I 'll see what I can find.
Theresa Patrie
Regular Advisor

If I do -standAlone, it works fine. It sees me as aasswm instead of patriet.
This is my easy job!
Alex Glennie
Honored Contributor

This is expected behaviour then and is all conected with tooltalk and the way CDE hangs together.

Briefly :

When dtpad is called, it opens the DISPLAY, and determinestheToolTalk Session ID, passing a message (including a "ttauth cookie")requesting that the editor be started.

ToolTalk will then start the editor using the UID of the user that started ToolTalk, not the UID ofthe user sending the message.

Hence your problem .... just start dtpad with the command line option and you will be ok.
Theresa Patrie
Regular Advisor

Thanks for the information, Alex. Great response time and good information! :)
This is my easy job!