New Discussion юеВ

HPUX 11.11 to 11.23

SOLVED
Go to solution
Paul Condren
Frequent Advisor

HPUX 11.11 to 11.23

Hi all.

Were planning to move some of our servers from 11.11 ro 11.23. Therer are mied views here on a cold install vs aan upgrade with udate-ux.

We have already hit a snag in at we dont have 200 Mb free in root so the initial update-ux test failed.

Does anyone have any comments, stories or recomendations etc on how we should do this? I am in the cold install camp at the minuite.

thanks
6 REPLIES 6
Kevin Wright
Honored Contributor

Re: HPUX 11.11 to 11.23

I would suggest cold install.
Luk Vandenbussche
Honored Contributor

This can be done, if all the prerequisites are followed.

I advise to make an ignite copy, restore it to another test server and then try the upgrade first on the test server.

So you know all the problems you can have when you update your production server.
Marvin Strong
Honored Contributor
Solution

Personally I prefer cold installs whenever possible. Normally most of the systems I have seen are "dirty". Doing a fresh install provides a clean system.

Of course the problem is generally there is more work in doing a cold install.

However I would also take an ignite backup prior to doing the work just encase.

alternately if you have a spare system you could install/configure/test and make a golden_image you could use to install from ignite.
Berd
Trusted Contributor

I would opt for a cold install if I had new kit to build the environment on. If you are remaining with the same hardware, I believe that the upgrade is more open to issue in that there are more options for things to go wrong. I recently followed the previous advice by taking an ignite image of a 11.00 server and upgraded usuccessfully using update-ux to 11.11. I plan to use this same process to upgrade from 11.11 to 11.23.

Hope this helps.
James R. Ferguson
Acclaimed Contributor

Hi Paul:

In my opinion there is no better choice than a cold-install, particularly when you have a vg00 devoid of anything but the standard logical volumes taht belong to the operating system.

Since you already have a '/' (root) filesystem that is too small you will have to resort to some real trickery to extend it just to be able to do an upgrade.

Cold-install and move forward.

Regards!

...JRF...
Bill Hassell
Honored Contributor

11.23 is an enormous jump in design, something like the jump from 9.0 to 10.0 in earlier versions. 11.23 integrates IA64 code with PARISC for a single code base and has a lot of large changes, many of which may require new versions of your applications. In the old naming convention, 11.23 should be called 12.0.

I would start with a cold install on your test system, then add your applications and make sure everything still works. Upgrades have an average success rate of less than 10% over the last 10 years. Some of those 90% tasks wasted weeks of time trying to 'fix' an upgrade.

Bill Hassell, sysadmin