3004 Online
108827 Solutions
New Discussion

Mixing PA-RISC s800 shared libraries

SOLVED
Go to solution
Alan Powell_1

Mixing PA-RISC s800 shared libraries

i have a PA-RISC1.1 executable that uses a bunch of shared libraries. Provided all the shared libraries are built for the same architecture (either s800 or PA-RISC1.1) the excutable works. If the shared libraries are a mixture of s800 & PA-RISC1.1 dld.sl fails (complains the s800 library has an invalid version identifier and can't be execed).

0) Is it allowable to mix such shared libraries?

1) How do i build s800 shared libraries? i haven't found anything in the aCC & lib man pages & HTML docs that help.

2) The "+DAarchitecture" flag allows me to specify the PA-RISC architecture. Is s800 just another moniker for some PA-RISC architecture?

The details are:
- Using aCC (v B3910B A.03.15).
- C flags are: -z +DAportable and a few others related to optimisation, include paths, etc.
- Built on a HP-UX 11 machine (B.11.0 U9000/800).

Thanks
1 REPLY 1
A. Clay Stephenson
Acclaimed Contributor
Solution

Re: Mixing PA-RISC s800 shared libraries

Basically, you are going to have to choose if you want to zig or zag --- you can't do both.

The s700 refers to worksstations and s800 refers to servers; prior to 11.x there were significant differences in the OS but now the two have been merged. The problem is that there are 32-bit versions of PA-RISC chips (anything below PA-8XXX) and 64-bit. The 64-bit chips will run either but the 32-bit PA-7XXX will only run 32-bit code.

The other problem is that you can instruct the compiler to produce 32-bit code (which will run on PA-7XXX chips) BUT to use the PA-2.0 instruction set --- which has a few extra instructions.

You also have a choice in the +DD compiler flag which sets the size of the int, long, and pointer variables.

The point is that every module must use the same options in order to link sucessfully and your most portable choice is +DAportable. It sacrifices a bit of performance for portability.
If it ain't broke, I can fix that.