New Discussion юеВ

n1 ^= n1? What is this?

SOLVED
Go to solution
Mary Rice
Frequent Advisor

n1 ^= n1? What is this?

Hello Experts,

I thought I knew something about C until I was given the job of making some minor changes to some very old (K & R , grrrr) C.

This code is filled with statements like this:
n1 ^= n1;
n2 ^= n2;

What is this doing. I took one out and the program instantly started core dumping. BTW, n1 and n2 are ints.

Please help quickly, Mary
7 REPLIES 7
A. Clay Stephenson
Acclaimed Contributor
Solution

Re: n1 ^= n1? What is this?

Hi Mary:

As soon as I saw this, I chuckled. Would you believe that this could have been written as:
n1 = n2 = 0;

The original programmer must have been an assembly programmer at one time because XOR'ing a value with itself is an old assembly idiom to quickly zero a value (ususally a register). I'm even willing to bet that n1 and n2 were declared as register int's.

Regards, Clay
If it ain't broke, I can fix that.
harry d brown jr
Honored Contributor

damn bit twidlers, oh wait, I'm one of those, ouch...

live free or die
harry
Live Free or Die
Martin Johnson
Honored Contributor

Clay,

Your age is showing! :-)

Haven't seen ^= in years. += is a little more common though, but I haven't that lately either.

Marty < += increment by one>
Rodney Hills
Honored Contributor

Actually Marty, += is increment by value to the right of =. ++ is increment by one.

Ever since perl, I haven't had to do any C programming. (and I'm glad of it!)

;-)

-- Rod Hills
There be dragons...
Martin Johnson
Honored Contributor

You're right Rodney. I haven't done any serious C programming in 12 years. I no longer have a C manual at my desk. Had to rely on 12 year old memories (bad move!)

Thanks for the clarification.
Marty
Mary Rice
Frequent Advisor

Yep Clay, you nailed it. I put in some printf statements and that is exactly what is happening. I would have never figured that out. BTW, those were register ints.

Now I have another question. One of the functions does this:

n1 ^= n2;
n2 ^= n1;
n1 ^= n2;

Neither n1 nor n2 are zeroed so what is this crazy statement doing?

I may have some more questions. I'll assign points then.

Thank You,
Mary
A. Clay Stephenson
Acclaimed Contributor

I love this guy! Mary, where were you when they taught XOR's? Believe it or not, those 3 statements exchange the values of n1 and n2 without a temporary value.

An equivalent would be:
temp = n1;
n1 = n2;
n2 = temp;

I KNOW that this guy was an Assembly programmer now. His trick, would only work on wordsize or less variables.

Let's see if I can show you how this works; remember and XOR compares two values and a bit is 1 only if exactly 1 of the same bit in both
values is 1.

These are binary values:
Initial. n1 n2
........ 110 101
n1 ^= n2 011 101
n2 ^= n1 011 110
n1 ^= n2 101 110

Note that n1 and n2 have now been swapped. If you put printf()'s before and after your C code, you should see the same. My psychic, Miss Cleo, tells me that this stuff was in some sort of sort function.

Regards, Clay

If it ain't broke, I can fix that.