108813 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: PostScript printer questions

SOLVED
Go to solution
dictum9
Super Advisor

PostScript printer questions

I have a PostScript HP printer which is connected to 2 systems. It works on one (hpux 11.0) but not on the 2nd, (11.23) the jobs just hang in the queue.

Any idea how to troubleshoot this? Can I remove this printer and then re-add it? Where in the filesystem are the config files so I can compare them?

13 REPLIES 13
Bill Hassell
Honored Contributor
Solution

Well, HP has hundreds of models of printers and there are several different ways to connect them. So you'll need to provide a bit more information. What is the printer model? Is the printer connected using some Windows server or does stand alone on the network? Was the printer added as a remote printer or a network printer (assuming SAM was used)?

Bill Hassell, sysadmin
A. Clay Stephenson
Acclaimed Contributor

It matters a great deal whether these were configured as "Network" (using JetDirect port 9100 protocol) or "Remote" (using LPR/LPD protocol) printers. Whenever possible configure them as "Network" printers. The interface files are stored in /var/spool/lp/interface. There will be a script "yourprinter" in this directory and if this is a network drinter then there will be a secondary script of the same namein the model.orig directory just below.

I suspect that you chose completely different model scripts (which become the interface files) for these print queues.
If it ain't broke, I can fix that.
dictum9
Super Advisor

It is: HP LaserJet 4350

How do I delete this printer and correctly add it?

It's connected to another machine and works just fine on that other server. It doesn't work when accessed from the first machine. I compared the configuration files on both servers (like /var/spool/lp/interface/ and cannot see any differences.
Pete Randall
Outstanding Contributor

Once again, it depends on how they were added, network or remote.

For a remote printer, you would use lpadmin:
lpadmin -x$PRNTR # to delete
lpadmin -p$PRNTR -orm$LOC.holstein.com -orp$OPRNTR -mrmodel -v/dev/n
ull -ob3 -ocmrcmodel -osmrsmodel # to add

For a network printer you would use the hppi commands removequeue and addqueue:
removequeue -f -q $PRNTR
addqueue -h $IP -q $PRNTR -b off

Pete

Pete
dictum9
Super Advisor

I think this is a network printer, because I can go to http://

Pete Randall
Outstanding Contributor

Then try "removequeue -f -qprinter_name". If that works, try the addqueue with the printer_name and its IP address.

Pete

Pete
dictum9
Super Advisor

Also, I have this version of JetDirect installed:

J4189-11001C E.10.34 Hewlett-Packard JetDirect Printer Installer for Unix
A. Clay Stephenson
Acclaimed Contributor

Being able to accees a printer by http or the fact that you have JetDirect software installed on your host computer tells you absolutely nothing as to whether the printer was added a Network or Remote printer. In fact, the same physical printer could be added as two logical print queues, one Network and the other Remote.

The way to tell is:
lpstat -v

For Network printers, you will see:
device for myprinter1: /dev/null

For Remote printers, you will see an additional line:
device for myprinter2: /dev/null
remote to: mickey on disney.com
If it ain't broke, I can fix that.
dictum9
Super Advisor

I only see

device for myprinter1: /dev/null

I used hpnpadmin to add this printer, since addqueue wasn't what I needed (it only ads a queue once the printer has already been created)