Go to solution
Frank Quinteros
Advisor
Solution

Re: Quick way regain disk space please

Sharon,

One quick command I like:

du -k /u1 |more

This will detail the guilty files that are filling up your file system.

Frank
Jeff Schussele
Honored Contributor

I like to use:

du -akx | sort -nr | more

This will sort (descending) the filesizes & restrict to the FS only - excluding anything possibly mounted below. Run from the top of the FS.

Rgds,
Jeff
PERSEVERANCE -- Remember, whatever does not kill you only makes you stronger!
Bill Hassell
Honored Contributor

Database programs typically pre-alocate the space that they need, so the filesystem never grows. By preallocating the empty space, the records simply become occupied or empty according to the rules of the database. Thus, running a database volume at 100% is fine...unless there are non-database or variable files in the lvol.

In that case, I would first determine if those files are supposed to be there, and if not, move or remove them. It is certainly possible that the DBA put dynamic files (temp sort areas, rollback and archive logs, etc) in the same lvol as the data files, and that will destroy performance. These files should be given their own, physically separate disk and lvol.

Bill Hassell, sysadmin
Wodisch
Honored Contributor

Hello Sharon,

if you only have Oracle datafiles in that filesystem then there is no problem with 94% of the space being used.

You could only delete/shrink logfiles and tracefiles in the directories below "/u01"...

Just my $0.02,
Wodisch
SHABU KHAN
Trusted Contributor

Sharon,

prompt>cd /u1

prompt>ls -lR | grep "^-" | sort -nr -k5,5 | more

This will sort only the files in reverse order biggest first...

As JRF pointed out you could use the compress utility to compress files which are not being used but needs to be there ... or find files which are older than 15 days and compress it and also find files older than 30 days and which can be safely removed ..

Hope this helps !

Thanks,
Shabu