108872 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Restrict Print queue access

SOLVED
Go to solution
Luis Toro
Regular Advisor

Restrict Print queue access

Is there a way to restrict the use of a print queue to only a certain subset of users on an HPUX system ?
Thank you
6 REPLIES 6
A. Clay Stephenson
Acclaimed Contributor

Re: Restrict Print queue access

While some versions of the System V spooler allow a -u allow:login_list or a -u deny:login_list lpadmin option, HP-UX's implementation does not. You might consider another spoller package like CUPS.

There is a way to do this using the standard spooler. The interface file is supplied with the user as the $2 parameter. It would be rather easy within this interface file (which is just a shell script) to search a file for the existence (or non-existence) of this user and continue or simply exit with a non-zero status.
If it ain't broke, I can fix that.
Bill Hassell
Honored Contributor
Solution

As Clay points out, each printer has a unique printing script and you can not only test for specific users (and exit with a non-zero code for disallowed users) but you can even test the size of the print job. Although the3 scripts are lengthy, the getting-started section is fairly simple.

Bill Hassell, sysadmin
Luis Toro
Regular Advisor

Thank you both. I suspected this ot be the case, but I wanted to be sure.
Bill, you mentioned 3 scripts. I know the interface script, and the corresponding script under the model.orig subdirectory. Which is the 3rd, and which should I modify ?
thanks again
A. Clay Stephenson
Acclaimed Contributor

One other point: You non-zero exit status should be in the range 1-127 so that the printer will not be disabled.
If it ain't broke, I can fix that.
Bill Hassell
Honored Contributor

Oops, that was a defective keyboard--ignore the 3. The model.orig scripts are for JetDirect printers while the scripts in the parent directory that specify parallel or serial printers would be the ones to modify.

Bill Hassell, sysadmin
Luis Toro
Regular Advisor

closing thread