108838 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

routes in server

SOLVED
Go to solution
Ravinder Singh Gill
Regular Advisor

routes in server

CLIENTSERVER1 is not communicating with TNGSERVER1 however it is up. If you check 2D map for CLIENTSERVER1 you do not get any performance statistics, just a blank page. Also CLIENTSERVER1 & TNGSERVER1 are not pinging each other but for example they can both ping CLIENTSERVER2.

It has been suggested that the route which was setup has been lost due to the reboot. I have performed an nslookup on RTEBWD and it is giving the correct address for UKPATNG01. I then checked the /etc/rc.config.d/netconf file and the entry for UKPATNG01's IP address and gateway is the same.

I have also done netstat -rv and there is an entry for TNGSERVER1 in CLIENTSERVER2 but not CLIENTSERVER1. Where/how do I put this entry in if this will fix the problem?

Can you offer any suggestions?
7 REPLIES 7
Nemer_1
Regular Advisor

Re: routes in server

is CLIENTSERVER1 and TNGSERVER1 on different networks??? if so can you post the routing table on each system??

Mark Nieuwboer
Esteemed Contributor
Solution

Hi,

to put a route in the machine use
route add on the clientserver1
route add host (ip-adress TNGSERVER1) netmask (255.255.255.0) gateway (1)
if its the second router if not then make the gateway number higher.
see the man pages for this.
If you want the route also after a backup change the /etc/rc.config.d/netconf
ROUTE_DESTINATION[1]="host TNGSERVER!"
ROUTE_MASK[1]=""
ROUTE_GATEWAY[1]=ip-adress TNGSERVER
ROUTE_COUNT[1]=1
ROUTE_ARGS[1]=""

grtz. Mark
Devender Khatana
Honored Contributor

Hi,

Just add a route on one host to other host through something common using "route add " command. I suppose this was done earlier and went off with reboot.

When one route add works fine add it to /etc/rc.config.d/netconf file in prescribed format for making it permanent and being available every time.

Format for /etc/rc.config/netconf related to route entry.
===========================================
ROUTE_DESTINATION[25]="net xx.xx.xx"
ROUTE_MASK[25]=""
ROUTE_GATEWAY[25]="xx.xx.xx.xx"
ROUTE_COUNT[25]="1"
ROUTE_ARGS[25]=""

HTH,
Devender
Impossible itself mentions "I m possible"
Ravinder Singh Gill
Regular Advisor

it is already in the netconf file. So do I simply need to do a:

#route add ?
Mark Nieuwboer
Esteemed Contributor

Hi,

If it was in the net.conf file it should work after a reboot. if not the route is not working or reachable. kan you ping the route ip-adress given in the net.conf. Also can you give the the net.conf file so we can look in it.

grtz. Mark
Devender Khatana
Honored Contributor

Hi,

If the route is there in netconf file then either the syntax by which it is put is not valid or the IP defined itself is not a valid IP for forwarding.

Try traceroute to the destination IP and see where does it stucks.

HTH,
Devender
Impossible itself mentions "I m possible"
Ravinder Singh Gill
Regular Advisor

Thanks guys the route add solved it. I think there may be a problem in the entry in the netconf file so I will look into this. Thanks once again.