2258 Online
108872 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Strange NFS behavior

Mike_305
Super Advisor

Strange NFS behavior

Hi,

We have Sun NFS server. One of the exported file systems from Sun server gets mounted over to HP 10.20 server.

What happening is some of the directory under the mount point disappears, lets say on client it???s mounted as /test and there is a directory /test1, /test2, /test3 and /test4.

My mount point /test is fine, but the directory /test1, /test2, /test3 and /test4 which are under /test mount point, not all the directory but some of them sometimes disappears. When I say disappears, I don???t mean to say they are deleted from the systems, I can cd into /test/test1 directory and do ???ll??? and I can see the listing of /test/test1 and all the files. When I go back to my mount point /test and do ???ll??? I can???t see /test1 or /test3. Sorry about the confusion. Thanks in advance.

Thanks,

Mike
If there is problem then don't think as problem, think as opportunity.
6 REPLIES 6
Sridhar Bhaskarla
Honored Contributor

Re: Strange NFS behavior

Hi Mike,

If /test is exported and test1, test2 etc are "file systems" mounted on directories under /test on the SUN server, then you will not see them on the client (HP) side.

-Sri
You may be disappointed if you fail, but you are doomed if you don't try
Terja
Frequent Advisor

Welcome to automounting. Its a feature very common under solaris.
when you cd to the directory, the directory is mounted (usually defined in a nis table). To see what directories are available under nis simply type in ypcat auto_master. If this does not return anything, check under /etc/auto* .Nice thing about automounting is that it
will not hung on network failures.

AWARNING

doing a find under /, can cause auto mounted directories to be mounted, and your search take forever (tricks for new players)
UNIX - Live free or Die
Mike_305
Super Advisor

Hi,

/test is a mount point on the HP client side and test1, test2 are the directories under /test, on the Sun side the mount point name is different.

Also, on Sun side it's not automounted, it's comming out of /etc/dfs/dfstab file so it's hard mounted.

For EX: this how mount point looks on Client side.

sun01:/xyz/abc /test nfs rw,suid 0 0

Any idea.

Thanks in advance.

Mike

Jeff Schussele
Honored Contributor

Hi Mike,

On the Sun side does the /test/test1 show as a filesystem on a df -v output?
If you export an directory that has mount points down it's tree, the mounted FS(s) will not show on the client. They have to exported on their own.

And what Terja means is automount on the HP (client) side. Doesn't matter how the Sun exports it - it matters *how* the HP side imports it. Automount is basically "NFS on demand" i.e. FS is not mounted until someone/something asks for it.
Check the file(s) Terja refers to on the HP side.

Rgds,
Jeff
PERSEVERANCE -- Remember, whatever does not kill you only makes you stronger!
Mike_305
Super Advisor

Hi,

On Sun side the mount point name is /xyz/abc and on HP client side it's /test. Also, on HP side it's imported as hard mount and defined in /etc/fstab, nothing defined in auto_master or auto.direct.

Thanks,

Mike
John Downs_1
Frequent Advisor

Make sure your running the same version of NFS on both machines, make sure you have the latest patchs and try a soft mount on the client.

-john
I'd rather be fly fishing for trout!