3260 Online
108837 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Upgrading from 10.20 to 11.0

SOLVED
Go to solution
Travis N. Dixon

Upgrading from 10.20 to 11.0

I need to upgrade from 10.20 to 11.0. I have nowhere near the 2gb required on root for the upgrade, and my users don't want to cold install. Can anyone tell me how to expand my root volume group. I currently only have 92k available on it.
6 REPLIES 6
John Downs_1
Frequent Advisor
Solution

Re: Upgrading from 10.20 to 11.0

Buy a new or used disk they are cheap! I wouldn't do an upgrade. What are your users so afraid of? Do they have data mixed in with the system?

-john
I'd rather be fly fishing for trout!
James R. Ferguson
Acclaimed Contributor

Hi Travis:

First, *don't* update from 10.20 to 11.0. Cold install 11.0 instead. Doing an upgrade from 10.20 to 11.0 has not been met with a high degree of success. This has been discussed in this Forum extensively during the last two years.

Second, to answer your question about increasing the "/" filesystem, the most viable way to do this is to capture your vg00 with Ignite's 'make_tape_recovery' and *install* using the tape just made. When done interactively, this offers you the option of resizing any or all of the vg00 filesystem sizes.

Cold installation offers you the change to resize your filesystems and it offers you the chance to begin anew with *only* patches and files belonging to the new release.

There are a multitude of threads in this forum describing cold-installion procedures. Do a keyword search in the ITRC community using keys like "10.20", "install", and "vgexport" and you will be well rewarded with tips.

Regards!

...JRF...
Sajid_1
Honored Contributor

hi,
a) An upgrade is not a good choice. Make it only as a last option.
b) To expand the rootVG, you can add an extra disk and vgextend it.
c) this is a checklist for upgrade to 11.0:
http://support1.itrc.hp.com/service/cki/docDisplay.do?docLocale=en_US&docId=200000062679580

Doc ID - KBAN00000716
learn unix ..
James R. Ferguson
Acclaimed Contributor

Hi (again) Travis:

Here are a couple of threads to entice you to see that cold-installation is not difficult if well-planned in advance:

http://forums.itrc.hp.com/cm/QuestionAnswer/1,,0xe6053d853cd9d5118ff40090279cd0f9,00.html

http://forums.itrc.hp.com/cm/QuestionAnswer/1,,0xab86b47b9a27d6118ff40090279cd0f9,00.html

As noted in one of the above threads, before you start your cold-install, use current Ignite software to capture your 10.20 vg00 configuration with 'make_tape_recovery'. This not only serves as a backup to which you can return to, but also creates a gratuitous system configurtion summary created for you:

/var/opt/ignite/recover/latest/manifest

This can be a valuable document during your 11.x installation.

Regards!

...JRF...
Bill Hassell
Honored Contributor

As others have recommended, don't upgrade unless you've had lots of experience and can have the HP Response Center give you some hints. But the mosty important part is: don't EVER upgrade anything with so little space.

Most requests for upgrades are due to business reasons and they go something like this: "We can't afford to be down for more than 2 hours, so do your upgrade then and make sure it's all working." These requirements usually result in total disasters with the system out of service for hours, maybe days if you don't make an Ignite backup.

Don't even think about an upgrade until you've verified that *ALL* your critical business applications are known to work on 11.0--you can safely assume that the majority of old applications will NOT work and require a new version from the vendor.

Use this opportunity to replace your VG00 disk(s) with some modern disks (18 or 36 Gb) and mirror them in case you haven't done that before. Keep old 2Gb and 4Gb disks for playing (they aren't going to get more reliable with age).

Bill Hassell, sysadmin
Travis N. Dixon

Thanks for the help, I'll use this with my customers.