108874 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: users & printers

SOLVED
Go to solution
Jeff Hagstrom
Regular Advisor

users & printers

If I wanted to replicate my users and printers onto another machine, are there a series of files that I could move? or some other mechanism that would allow me to do so?
5 REPLIES 5
Barry O Flanagan
Respected Contributor

Couple of things:
- If you have ignite installed, you can do a make_recovery on your first system and then do an interactive restore onto your second system. This would allow you to duplicate your first box onto your second.

- Copy /etc/passwd and /etc/group from box 1 to box 2 to copy user/groups. You'll have to modify home directory paths unless their NFS mountable.

- Why not use NIS to distribute account information between your machines? That'll allow you to just maintain one set of usernames and password etc centrally and will allow logins to whatever machines you specify if they're NIS clients

Just my 2 cents...
MANOJ SRIVASTAVA
Honored Contributor

Hi Jeff

Users

Copy /etc/passwd /etc/groups and then create thr home directories and copy the .profiles for all the users .

Printers

You can copy /usr/spool/lp directory across , but also you will have to copy /etc/hosts incase you have network printers , generally this works but if I was you I would have recreted new printers since they are easy to create and it is easier to debug problems with new printers then to debug the old copied ones. Also you have always the flexibilty to go back in case the copy doesnt work .

Manoj Srivastava
Pedro Sousa
Honored Contributor

Hi Jeff!
To replicate users, groups, services, etc. automatically, you can use NIS or NIS+ (more secure): http://www.docs.hp.com/cgi-bin/fsearch/framedisplay?top=/hpux/onlinedocs/B1031-90045/B1031-90045_top.html&con=/hpux/onlinedocs/B1031-90045/00/00/20-con.html&toc=/hpux/onlinedocs/B1031-90045/00/00/20-toc.html&searchterms=NIS&queryid=20010521-075815
or you can make it manually by copying /etc/passwd and /etc/group.

For Printers (I've never done this) I think you just need to copy /etc/lp.

good luck.
Jeff Hagstrom
Regular Advisor

I want to mv the printers and users from unix 10.20 over to the same type of box(HPK9000), but the operating system is 11.00. I was told the passwd and group file will get the uses, but what about the printers?
Gadura Praveen
Frequent Advisor
Solution

Hi Jeff,

I have successfully migrated users and printers from 10.20 to 11.00 .

For users :-

Copy over the "/etc/passwd" , "/etc/group" and also "/etc/logingroup" ( if you use /etc/logingroup ).Don't forget to copy the users home directories. If your 10.20 server is trusted , trust your 11.00 server before you copy over the above files along with "/tcb" directory structure . On 11.00 , use "pwck" and check for any errors/warning.

For printers :-

copy over the "/etc/lp" ,"/var/spool/lp" and you are all set to go.

Praveen