108897 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: RPM install

SOLVED
Go to solution
Kyle D. Harris
Regular Advisor

RPM install

I downloaded a RPM from the Redhat site and put it in a directory "/usr/src".

I went to that directory and tried to install the RPM "rpm -i openssl-0.9.7a-20.src.rpm" and after a split second nothing happened.

Am I not understanding something?
8 REPLIES 8
Mark Grant
Honored Contributor

You are aware that this looks like a source rpm? This will produce source code that you will then have to build with all the attentant issues that could unfold.

I suspect you need to find the openssl rpm that doesn't have a ".src" in there somewhere. On the other hand I don't actually use rpm's so my info might be out of date.

Just as a matter of interest what actually happens when nothing happens? Does it hang or do you just get the prompt back?. I f I remember correctly, rpms and source rpms don't actually say anything if they work properly.
Never preceed any demonstration with anything more predictive than "watch this"
Kyle D. Harris
Regular Advisor

Mark, i just get the prompt back right away....I guess i'll remove it and look for one without a source rpm. Thanks.
Balaji N
Honored Contributor
Solution

hey
is it a source rpm? then install the source rpm.

rpm -Uvh *.src.rpm

it will get installed in /usr/src.

and there will be a spec file (dont remeber the exact directory) somewhere in /usr/src/build or ...

go to that directory and run

rpmbuild -bb specfile.

this will generate a binary rpm.

once this is done,

just run

rpm -Uvh *.rpm.

please note that to build, you need to have all the dependencies and most of the *devel* rpms.

cheerio
-balaji
Its Always Important To Know, What People Think Of You. Then, Of Course, You Surprise Them By Giving More.
Huc_1
Honored Contributor

kyle,

I read this reply now but I have answered this in the following link
http://forums1.itrc.hp.com/service/forums/questionanswer.do?threadId=292708

please follow up to there

J-P
Smile I will feel the difference
Martin P.J. Zinser
Honored Contributor

Hello Mark,

could you elaborate a bit why you consider building from sources to be a problem? For me this is actually on of the features of Linux that makes it attractive. No critizism intended here, I am just curious.

Greetings, Martin
Mark Grant
Honored Contributor

Martin.

I always build from source. I always install the smallest linux I can and then build the rest just as I like it from source. However, I don't think Kyle is really up for that just now and rpm installs are just the thing.

Many years ago, before "./configure" made life so easy, I spent three days (took two days off work) without sleep building ImageMagick. Life is much easier now but sadly doesn't have the same sense of achievemnet :)
Never preceed any demonstration with anything more predictive than "watch this"
Martin P.J. Zinser
Honored Contributor

Hello Mark,

I agree going with RPMs does make sense if you do not have too much experience yet.

As it happens streamlining the build of ImageMagick on a non-Unix platform is one of my next projects ;-) I do anticipate more than 3 days...

All the best, Martin
Kyle D. Harris
Regular Advisor

Just got back to work from the weekend. Thanks for the replies, they should help. Yes I agree, I don't have alot of experience yet so RPM should be good. Thanks to all!

kyle