3335 Online
108836 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: More audio blues

Paul Beaudoin
Regular Advisor

More audio blues

Gents,

My PWS 500 has stopped playing audio properly. It repeats short segements, much like a dirty CD. I restarted the software to no effect and then powered the box right off. This worked for a bit but then the problems reappeared. I assume I have a hardware fault and making this difficult, the sound stuff is on the motherboard. The system works fine other than this. My back-up has always been an AS255 box which I boot up to form a cluster with the PWS. I tested this ages ago (at VMS 7.3) and it worked fine then. Since, I have upgraded to 8.2 and now the (new) driver does not load. As near as I can tell, the same driver is used in both boxes and as this is a common system disk it should load (sys$user_config.dat entries work fine on the PSW)but it doesn't. The au device is not created. I checked the startups and all seems well and even tried running them manualy. No errors but also, no device.
Can anyone point me in the right direction?

Many thanks

Paul
4 REPLIES 4
Hoff
Honored Contributor

Assuming this is not a hardware problem, do try to scrounge up the newest MMOV pieces you can find. Here is V2.2:

http://h71000.www7.hp.com/openvms/products/mmov/index.html

The newest MMOV multimedia services kit looks to be V2.2-1 (DEC-AXPVMS-MMOV-V0202-1-1), but I don't see a download for that posted anywhere, and what is posted is V2.2. There are references to V2.2-1 and OpenVMS V8.* releases.

Paul Beaudoin
Regular Advisor

Hoff

Many thanks for that. There was some confusion around the 7.3-2 to 8.2 upgrade and I ended up with MMOV 2.1 There were some indicators there was a 2.2 but I never found it.

You seem to be also suggesting that this is not necessarily a hardware fault? In any case, I'll install this and report back

Regards

Paul
Hoff
Honored Contributor

Experience writing and debugging audio drivers -- for the DECtalk-related DECvoice widget, and not with the particular drivers used within MMOV -- has shown bugs lurking within audio device drivers can cause stuttering.

Again, assuming this is not a hardware problem... Which this very well could be.

Haven't looked for a pointer to V2.2-1, though Fred K. might well know where that kit is, or who might know.
Paul Beaudoin
Regular Advisor

Hoff,

Well now I am stumped. I had the 2.2-1 kit already installed so on a whim, started it and it has now run for 14 hours without a stutter.
I can only assume that once your magic eye fell on this most trivial of problems, it thought the better of continuing. Either that or I have a latent hardware/software error. In either case, many thanks -

Paul