4021 Online
108831 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Installing Firmware on DL380G10 running VMware 7.0.3

jscooper22
Advisor

Installing Firmware on DL380G10 running VMware 7.0.3

Hi,

I received the following critial firmware notice: https://support.hpe.com/hpesc/public/docDisplay?docId=emr_na-a00136659en_us&hprpt_id=ALERT_HPE_3062112&jumpid=em_pom8nu6hj_aid-520066529

I'm fine taking server down on a weekend, I just need the the simplest most reliable method to get this firmware installed and avoid data loss, so I was going to make a thumb drive out of P64606_001_gen10spp-2023.09.00.00-SPP2023090000.2023_0902.19 and put the firmware where it tells me then boot to it. 

Following these instructions, https://support.hpe.com/connect/s/softwaredetails?softwareId=MTX_44bf449a152c45f2b7bbc5fd99&tab=Installation+Instructions, the last section is titled "Additional information to execute VIB file." but nowhere else does it tell me that I need to execute a VIB file in the first place. Additionally, there is no VIB file in CP057765.zip. Just these: CP057765_BUILD_1.data CP057765_VMw.zip CP057765.xml CP057765.vmexe64 CP057765.vmexe payload.json CP057765.vmfile. Do I need to perform these extra steps after the firmware is installed? 

The instrucitons provide good step-by-steps telling me HOW to do things but not WHY I would or would not want to do them.

Thanks,

Jeff

4 REPLIES 4
ngnear
HPE Pro

Hi Jeff,

The document stated has various methods of getting the firmware updated.

So, you may update the firmware using an SPP (Service pack for Prolaint), You may choose to update firmware from operating system on target server or you have the option to update the firmware on the host itself using .VIB file.

The instruction you refer to is for that installation -

Commands required to execute VIB file on ESXi 7.0/8.0

• Installing vib file : esxcli software component apply  тАУd <full path>CPxxxxxx_VMw.zip  or esxcli software component apply --no-sig-check тАУd <full path>CPxxxxxx_VMw.zip (if vib file is unsigned)
  • Executing the binary from path &ldquoopt/Smart_Component/CPxxxxxxтАЭ : ./ Execute_Component with command set options -s, -f, -e, -g etc. if required.
  • Removing vib file : esxcli software component remove тАУn Smart-Component-CPxxxxxx
  • After removing the vib, we need to manually remove the folders using : rm тАУrf /opt/Smart_Component/CPxxxxxx

I'm an HPE employee.
[Any personal opinions expressed are mine, and not official statements on behalf of Hewlett Packard Enterprise]
Accept or Kudo
jscooper22
Advisor

@ngnear 

Hi again,

Looks like installing the firmware from a USB is the way to go as I tried unzipping CP057765.zip into a directory on my usxi host and suddently got "drive full" errors even though I have a couple terrabytes, so rather than try to decypher why that is, I'll just use the USB boot method.

I've seen a few comments that indicate I cannot boot from USB on a UEFI machine unless I explicitly enable it in system setup (by presing F9 at startup), but in iLO/Administration/Boot Order I do see "Generic USB Boot" as an option. Does this mean it's already enabled? 

And, if it is, is it better to set it via the Server Boot Order list, or the One-Time Boot Status/UEFI Target Option? I'm not sure if spp requires addtional reboots also from the USB drive to complete successfully.

If I run into serious trouble, I think can run it via html virtual media. I did something that way before but it was incredibly slow so I'd like to use the physical USB driver since I'm sitting next to the server.

Thanks.

ngnear
HPE Pro

You can change the boot order via one-time boot menu in BIOS by pressing F9.

I'd suggest you to log a support ticket with us if you run into any issues and we'd be happy to assist.

I'm an HPE employee.
[Any personal opinions expressed are mine, and not official statements on behalf of Hewlett Packard Enterprise]
Accept or Kudo
jscooper22
Advisor

I did not realize I could pre-emptively open a ticket before I had an issue. Thank you.

My system is UEFI, not BIOS. I will open a ticket before applying the update.

Thanks,

Jeff