ProLiant Servers - Netservers
1755720 Members
3111 Online
108837 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

ML 110 Can't load NT4.0

CA1140388

ML 110 Can't load NT4.0

Just got an ML110. Trying to load NT4.0 to config as remote BDC. Blue screens right after initial drivers begin to load, but blue screen doesn't stay visible long enough to read error msg. Screen goes to blue vertical lines.. Can load 2003 server so hardware is working. Can load NT from same CD on another machine so CD is good.

Any thoughts?
10 REPLIES 10
CA859951
Honored Contributor

Re: ML 110 Can't load NT4.0

Ronald:

I do not see any support for WinNT on the ML110. Good-ole-HP considers the O/S retired and did not include it in any certification process. My thoughts are that it might be hanging up at the SCSI controller detection. NT does not have a native Ultra320 driver. You might be able to install one from adaptec or LSI depending on the chipset...
G'luck!
"Now is the only thing that's real!"
CA1140388

HP Says the problem is that there are no drivers for the Ultra ATA drive that's in there. So I dropped in an older IDE drive, which had the same problem. So then I tried some SCSI drives with an ADAPTEC 240.. still had the same problem...
Still trying,
Thanks for the feed back....
Alex Broens

Same problem here... its not the GFX chip, its not a disk problem (I'm using an Adaptec 2400 IDE RAID whicha DOS boot disk can access without extra drivers)

I'd say its the chipset which drives the NT install routine nuts.

I'd assume that a setup CD with an included SP4 could work.

Need to setup NT4 on this box to migrate a domain to W2003 as the orginal & only PDC is so messed up I don't dare do an upgrade from there and the mere idea of redoing the whole domain gives me the shivers
(400 users, all notebooks and very mobile)

any hint is very appreciated

Alex
Alex Broens

does atapi.sys ring a bell?

Alex
CA859951
Honored Contributor

Gentlemen:

You can build NT using the SP4 atapi.sys driver (Read here: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;197667&Product=nts40 )

Download the updated Atapi.sys from Microsoft's FTP server, ftp://ftp.microsoft.com/bussys/winnt/winnt-unsup-ed/fixes/nt40/atapi/ATAPI.EXE and copy the file to a blank floppy disk.

Run Atapi.exe on the diskette and the new Atapi.sys file will be extracted to the diskette. Be sure to label the disk "ATAPI Service Pack 4 IDE Driver."

Boot from the three setup disks supplied with Windows NT Server. (or make them)

When asked if you would like setup to detect your mass storage devices, press S so that detection is skipped and you specify a mass storage device.
When setup list devices found, which should list none, press S again and insert the Microsoft ATAPI Service Pack 4 IDE Driver disk and press ENTER twice.
After setup reads the disk and list the Microsoft ATAPI Service Pack 4 IDE driver, press ENTER to accept the driver.
Setup will now list Microsoft ATAPI Service Pack 4 IDE Driver as an installed driver. If you have additional drivers for other mass storage devices, press S, if not, press ENTER to continue through setup.

Setup should continue as per normal but it will prompt you to insert the disk labeled "Microsoft ATAPI Service Pack 4 IDE Driver Support Disk" at the copy phase after you have chosen or formatted a partition on a hard drive.

G'luck!
Alex Broens

Thanks John,

I came across that idea, did it with teh NT4 setup CD (F6) instead of the setup disks, lodaded the SP4 atapi driver but that didn't get me much further.
Only change was the colour of the stripes after NT setup showed a bluescreen for a fraction of a second.

Maybe a setup CD with integrated SP6 would help . Been Googling all day trying to find a method to put such a CD together but haven't got anywhere.
I may have to "unpack" the CD, loose the bootable, replace oringinal CD files with SP6a files and setup with floppies (sigh)

Any other idea ?

Thanks
Alex
CA1153614

In spanish:

Debes hacer el siguiente procedimiento:

Ubicarte en una PC con grabador de CD, en donde debes copiar los archivos descomprimidos del Service Pack6a por ejemplo en "c:\i386.new"
Luego copias totalmente el contenido del CD original del NT40 en otra ruta que podria ser "c:\NT40".

Luego copias el contenido completo de "c:\i386.new" a la ruta "c:\NT40\i386" sobrescribiendo los archivos antiguos i386 por los nuevos del service pack 6a, pero OJO debes tener la precaucion de que no te quede ningun archivo antiguo suelto, porque te generara muchos problemas mas adelante. Por lo tanto todo aquel archivo que tenga su homologo COMPACTADO de version antigua debes eliminarlo. !!! solamente deben quedar los archivos nuevos !!!..

Luego Grabas todo el contenido de "c:\NT40" en un CD limpio, para que obtengas el CD instalador (No-Boot) de Windows NT40 con los archivos actualizados en el i386 del service pack 6a

Posterior a eso ejecutas desde la ruta "c:\NT40\I386" el comando "winnt /ox" el cual te va a pedir 3 disquetes previamente formateados, quienes seran los nuevos disquetes de arranque con archivos correspondientes al service pack6a.

Por ultimo te ubicas en el servidor ML110 , arrancas el sistema con el diquete numero 1 , que posteriormente te pedira los otros restantes disquetes , asi superas el problema que actualmente tienes. Solamente tienes que ubicar en la bandeja del CD del ML110 el nuevo CD que grabastes y el resto del procedimiento es el rutinario y normal de instalacion que me imagino debes conocer.

====
Este procedimiento tiene la ventaja de que quedas con el CD de soporte y lo puedes reutilizar cuantas veces sea necesario ideal para los IT
====

Suerte..

Renier Guardo
CA1169988

I installed NT4 on the DL145 server first, then applied SP6. After that I move the hard disk back to ML110. It works.
CA859951
Honored Contributor

Not sure if either of these NT drivers will work natively on the ML110:

HP ProLiant CMD 0649 IDE Ultra DMA Controller Driver for Windows NT 4.0:
http://h18000.www1.hp.com/support/files/server/us/download/15649.html

HP ProLiant Integrated Ultra ATA-100 Dual Channel Driver for Windows NT 4.0:
http://h18000.www1.hp.com/support/files/server/us/download/18952.html