StoreEver Tape Storage
1754845 Members
4712 Online
108826 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Data error (cyclic redundancy check).

Neil Charman

We currently have 2 HP storageworks SSL 1016 tape autoloaders daisy chained together running of backup exec 9.1 on a windows 2003 server. Backup jobs on the new autoloader are now failing with the error:

Storage device "HP 4" reported an error on a request to write data to media.

Error reported:

Veritas are insisting tha this is a hardware related error possibly to do with scsi connections/speeds

Even if we just plug the new autoloader into the server directily and take out the first autoloader, then jobs still fail with the same error.
2 REPLIES 2
CA713937
Honored Contributor

Re: Data error (cyclic redundancy check).

From my experience, the "CRC" message is more likely the result a write verify error on tape, and not a connectivity/cable error.

What drive type do you have? Have you tried to isolate it to a particular tape?

If you can install HP L&TT (www.hp.com/support/tapetools), I would recommend running the "drive assessment test", which will check the drive's functionality and error rates. You should run it on a new tape.

You can also generate a support ticket and paste it here, and I can review the drive's error logs to see what it's returned previously.
The journey IS the reward.
Neil Charman

Re: Data error (cyclic redundancy check).

I have tried numerous tapes, i have actually spoke to HP and they are swapping the device out, so will try again with the new kit.