New Discussion юеВ

Re: StoreVirtual P4330 upgrade issue

SOLVED
Go to solution
MV31
Regular Visitor

StoreVirtual P4330 upgrade issue

Hi all,

Last week, I have upgraded one of my P4330 : server firmware (P71 05/24/2019) and iLO firmware (2.82 Feb 06 2023).

At this time, StoreVirtual sotftware was 11.5. So I launched StoreVirtual upgrade to 12.8 from the CMC.

After the reboot, the P4330 is stuck, showing "Probing EDD (edd=off to disable)...ok". No way to make it boot until the login prompt.

Is there a way to recover ? Or to take this system back to factory defaults ?

Thanks for your help

7 REPLIES 7
Assen
HPE Pro

HI MV31,

you could edit GRUB boot entry with "e" and adding "edd=off" to disable edd probing, but more interesting will be to see what is going on at boot.

To get a glimps of the boot process on the screen, you have to remove the console redirection to serial port, in the same GRUB boot line or attach to serial console and connect with putty. At least you could see where it really stops. 
If you still have active contract, you could try to open a case.

BR

Assen

I am an HPE employee
[Any personal opinions expressed are mine, and not official statements on behalf of Hewlett Packard Enterprise]

Accept or Kudo

MV31
Regular Visitor

Thank you very much for your answer.

I already tried adding "edd=off" to the GRUB entry, but it didn't change anything (only the EDD message disappeared). I assume the EDD check is OK and the problem comes after.

I will try to get more information on the startup process following your procedure and keep you informed.

MV31
Regular Visitor

Hi Assen,

Please find below the last messages on the console :

Controller [slot 01 running 5.42(> 5.06) or is P420, leave surfacescandelay to default
tmp/ADU /
HP Array Diagnostics and SmartSSD Wear Gauge Utility CLI 9.30.15.0
Archive: ADU.zip
inflating: ADUReport.txt
inflating: ADUReport.xml
inflating: ADUReport.htm
inflating: report.checksum
/
-- Checking controller slot 0
-- drive with lowest capacity = 450
-- MemoryUtilizationRequirements START
375:6000:6000:6000;
-- Drive size 375, memory required for unmap = 6000
415:16000:16000:16000;
-- Drive size 415, memory required for unmap = 16000
875:16000:16000:16000;
-- unmap_capable enabled in store config file
/etc/lefthand/brand/common//brand.functions: line 480: printLog: command not found
/etc/lefthand/brand/common//brand.functions: line 494: printlog: command not found

Thanks for your help.

Assen
HPE Pro

unfortunately this output does not tell much about why it's not booting
could be the famous issue of /var/spool/clientmqueue getting full, which needs to be cleaned up from, but there is no way getting to console as you will not be able to login. You will need to get password with help from HPE support.

Sorry that can not help much. My storevirtual skills are gettin rusty as not in this team anymore, but still love it.

I am an HPE employee
[Any personal opinions expressed are mine, and not official statements on behalf of Hewlett Packard Enterprise]

Accept or Kudo

MV31
Regular Visitor

I'm not sure this could be the "clientmqueue getting full" problem.

I made a diff between the console output of this server and the one from a working one (same firmwares, but still in 11.5).
The "good" server has nearly the same logs, but not the "brand.functions: line 480: printLog: command not found".
At this location, it continues with :

Found SSL cert and key files, skip generating new SSL cert/key files.
/etc/lefthand/brand/common/bin/create-ldap-cfg-tar.py:18: DeprecationWarning: the sha module is deprecated; use the hashlib module instead
import sha
b03090783c2ccb8e360ef0208c919649acd66027
Bringing up loopback interface: [ OK ]
Bringing up interface eth0: [ OK ]

Is there a way to reset this storage server to its factory defaults ?
Perhaps for an iso ?

MV31
Regular Visitor
Solution

Finally I managed to resolve this issue... by reinstalling the HPE 4330 from scratch.

For those who are interested :
I downloaded the iso 12.8 (HPE_StoreVirtual_Quick_Restore_DVD_System_Recovery_AX694-11020.iso) and installed it form iLO virtual Media. I had the activation key ready on a USB stick. After installation, the version is 12.8.00.0102.
I then tried to update the HPE 4330 from the CMC without success: patch 10188-02 was impossible to install because of error 107 (library not found). I disabled this fix in the update.xml file (changed to optional) and all remaining fixes were applied successfully.
After that, patch 10188-02 installed without any problems.

Sunitha_Mod

Hello @MV31,

That's awesome! 

We are extremely glad to know the problem has been resolved and we appreciate you for keeping us posted. 

Thanks,
Sunitha G
I'm an HPE employee.
Accept or Kudo