New Discussion юеВ

add disk enclosure eva6000 high occupancy level

SOLVED
Go to solution
ilayy
Regular Advisor

add disk enclosure eva6000 high occupancy level

hi experts
i have eva6000 on which i have a disk group with the following description 20 disks
protection level: single
capacity: 8380,29 GB
used:8317.34GB
which means the occupancy is about 99%

i need to add a disk enclosure then add disks to this disk group.my questions are

1)is that possible? as the occupancy is 99%? is it risky?
2)the unused space and the disks used in the protection level are used to calculate the leveling or just in case of disk loss it is used to rebuild the data on it?
10 REPLIES 10
Jan Soska
Honored Contributor

Re: add disk enclosure eva6000 high occupancy level

Hello,
ad 1) - no problem, just do it until you really get out of space...
ad 2) - I think it is reserved space in case of disk failure for rebuilding the data. (single - 1 disk failure, double - 2 disk failure)

Jan
ilayy
Regular Advisor

hi again
what do you mean do it until you get out of space. please clarify and should i add all the disks together or first i have to add only 2 disks and wait till the leveling is finish then adding all the others?
Jan Soska
Honored Contributor

Hello, whe adding disk you have 2 options:
1) fast one - put all drives you want to add into EVA, then click on vgroup you want to extend, click add disk, enter number of them, click ok.
2) slower one - you choose particular disk and move him into target vgroup.

Jan
Rob Leadbeater
Honored Contributor

Hi,

What are the sizes of the disks in the group that you're looking to expand ?

The sparing level reserves two times the size of the largest disk in the group, so if you were to add one or two 300GB disks to a group that currently has 72GB disks, you could end up with less available storage...

Regards,

Rob
ilayy
Regular Advisor

hi
don't you think that your answers are so far from my questions?
i am asking if it is a risk to add more disks to a disk group when i have occupancy level of 99%
Jan Soska
Honored Contributor

No, risk is only you will run out of space for production system.
Rob Leadbeater
Honored Contributor

> i am asking if it is a risk to add more
> disks to a disk group when i have
> occupancy level of 99%

Yes, there is a potential risk if you add a small number of big disks into a disk group with smaller disks.

Hence why I asked how many disks and what sizes are in the current group.

However, looking back at your original information it would appear that you could have 500GB FATA disks in the group, so you should be fine, as these are the biggest available for the EVA6000 (I think).

Cheers,

Rob
ilayy
Regular Advisor

hi all
-i have removed the protection level which was single and i set it to non so i have the size of 2 disks free = 1 TB
-and i have added in the same time 2 disks to another disk group where i have enough free space the leveling on this disk group is 57% and in progress the leveling on the first one it is 22% and pending
so what is the problem?
Rob Leadbeater
Honored Contributor
Solution

Probably nothing. The EVA (I think) only does one levelling operation at a time, so the pending one will resume, when the other has completed.

Regards,
Rob