108789 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: HPE M220 AP - QOS or bandwidth limits per SSID

SOLVED
Go to solution
jwhiteker
Occasional Contributor

HPE M220 AP - QOS or bandwidth limits per SSID

Trying to set up some sort of prefferred network for staff vs. guest wifi.  I have an MSR20-10 enterprise router and 3 of these M220 AP's clustered.  I'm running two SSID's on a single VLAN.  I need one of the SSID's to have prefferred throughput vs guest wifi connections.  Should I do this at the router with setting up an additional VLAN?  I was hoping I could just set a bandwidth limit on the guest SSID at the AP like some other brands allow.  What is my best option here?

3 REPLIES 3
Emil_G
HPE Pro
Solution

Hello, 

M220 is an entry level AP and misses a lot of the advanced bandwidth management and traffic prioritization features other models and brands have. I reviewed the documentation once again and couldnt find any option to achieve what you intend.

I can think of one workaround however it is very specific and the implementation may not match your needs. The AP supports 802.11n as the highest WLAN standard with 2 spacial steams, this means 300Mbps as the highest data rate (real data throughput about the half). The 802.11n standard has some requirements regarding the wireless security features. It can only be used with WPA2 with AES. If you enabled WPA with TKIP or WEP on a wireless community, 802.11n is disabled and the AP will support 802.11g or 802.11a only with the highest data rate of 54Mbps. This is mentioned in the manual

https://internal.support.hpe.com/hpesc/public/docDisplay?docLocale=en_US&docId=c04483535

WPA with TKIP encryption. Note: If this version is selected and the chosen wireless mode supports 802.11n, then wireless clients that support 802.11n cannot connect at 802.11n transmission rates. They will be connected at legacy rates. If the chosen wireless mode is one of the 802.11n-only modes, then you cannot select this option alone (that is, WPA2 must also be selected)

So if you plan to implement preshared key authentication for both SSIDs, you can configure the radio mode as 802.11b/g/n or 802.11a/n, in the wireless community settings you can then specify different security methods and WPA versions for both SSIDs. The guest SSID can be using WPA-Personal with TKIP while the employee SSID WPA2-Personal with AES.

If you cannot implement wireless authentication for the guest SSID (for example you cannot distribute the password to guests) this restriction cannot be enforced and I cannot think of another way to do it on the AP.

Running employee and guest SSID on a single VLAN is not recommended because this opens the door for wireless peer to peer attacks, thus the utrusted guests are able to attack employees, distribute malware and viruses and so on. If you cannot change it then you need some additional security on the wired side which blocks the comminication between stations in the same VLAN and allows it only to a gateway. It is better to have separate VLANs for both SSIDs, this can possibly also allow you to implement more granular QoS or bandwidth restriction on the wired side.

I am an HPE employee

Accept or Kudo

jwhiteker
Occasional Contributor

Thank you so much Emil.  I believe this was a good workaround.  However, using WPA/TKIP only limits throughput to 54Mbps.  I need to limit it to about 5Mbps.  

So, I've decided to create another VLAN to achieve a more secure setup and to have a class B subnet to allow more guests to sign on.  I have completed the VLAN within the router and created the class B interface.  If I understand correctly, I need to go into the HPE switch and set up VLAN tagging for that specific LAN port as well?  

Also, I tried to get some preliminary work done at the AP level for the new subnet.  However, the M220 AP's only have one ethernet port.  So, I'm going to have to make it accept two VLAN's on a single port.  I think this will work fine.  But, the GUI isn't very intuitive on the M220.  I'm having a hard time deciphering which settings to change.  I need the AP's to stay on my original secure subnet in order to manage them, but I also need to assign an additional VLAN and subnet to each one as well so they can operate wireless on both SSID's.   I have three AP's that are clustered or in a community.  Any tips?

Emil_G
HPE Pro

Hello,

Yes, I agree this workaround is not very flexible.

If you have a switch between the AP and the router, you have to configure the VLANs to match between the AP and the switch on the one hand and also between the switch and the router on the other hand.

The AP M220 can support multiple VLANs on its single port. One VLAN is untagged (also called native VLAN or PVID on some switches) the rest of the VLANs are tagged.

https://support.hpe.com/hpesc/public/docDisplay?docLocale=en_US&docId=c04483535

on page 75 you can find which options do you have for the Ethernet configuration (Network ->IP ->Ethernet Configuration). You can specify the Management VLAN of the AP and the untagged VLAN. By default the management and the untagged VLAN is VLAN 1. You can change them or you can disable the untagged VLAN which will make the AP send all the frames with a VLAN tag.

On page 34 you have all the options in the menu Wireless ->Communities. Here you can assign the VLAN to the SSID ( specify the VLAN ID to which the AP is mapping the wireless traffic when it is forwarded to the LAN). You can specify different VLAN IDs for different communities (SSIDs). All the VLANs expect the VLAN that you specified as untagged in (Network ->IP ->Ethernet Configuration) will be sent out with a VLAN tag. Or if you disabled the untagged VLAN all the VLANs will be send with a VLAN tag. The port of the switch has to be configured accordingly.

Assigning a subnet to a SSID is not done at the AP level. The AP is a Layer 2 device which has an IP address only for management access, no separate IP is assigned to every single SSIDs or VLAN. The IP subnet is assigned at the router.

I am an HPE employee

Accept or Kudo