108874 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: Replace existing SN6600B switch

SOLVED
Go to solution
jchen522
Frequent Advisor

Replace existing SN6600B switch

What is the correct procedure to replace existing SN6600B SAN switches one by one with newer switches of the same model?  We have two fabrics with three switches in each fabric.  Do I configupload and configdownload from the existing switch to the new switch?  Should I use the same Domain ID by downloading the config to the new switch and cfgclear zone config and have it merge? Do I need to switchDisable the first fabric first then replace each switch one by one?

Please point me to the right direction!  Thank you!

5 REPLIES 5
Cali
Honored Contributor

Hi,

if you want to merge old and new  Switches, first check, if the Firmware does match, this is very important.

Check the "Fabric OS v9.*.* Release Notes" in Part "8.3.2 Migrating from FOS v9.2.x".
* is the Firmware of the new Switches.

If the Firmware is not compatible, first Update.

If it is, I usually add the new Switch with a new Name, IP, and Domain ID to the Fabric.
The Zoning is automatically learned from the other, then move the Cable to the new one and remove the old one.
( In this case a can pre configure all new Switches in the Lab and it's a safe way.)

Redo this One by One.

Cali

ACP IT Solutions AGI'm not an HPE employee, so I can be wrong.
jchen522
Frequent Advisor

Thank you Cali for the quick reply.

You mean New Name, New IP, New Domain ID right?

Do I first need to switchdisable or disable ISL of the existing one that is being replaced before I move the cables?

Does it matter which switch I replace first?  prinicpal switch first?

Cali
Honored Contributor
Solution

You mean New Name, New IP, New Domain ID right? > Yes

Do I first need to switchdisable or disable ISL of the existing one that is being replaced before I move the cables?

> No, make one connection to the replacement Switch, this builds a new ISL (between old and new)
> As a result the Zoning Information is automatically replicated to the new Switch (Verify fabricshow, zoneshow, maybe you have to wait 1-2min)
> If everything is fine, you can move all the Cable from the old to the new, and at the end remove the temporary ISL
> Check Host Path before you move to the next Port or Switch

Does it matter which switch I replace first?  prinicpal switch first?
> No, if the Principal is gone, one of the other is automatically promoted as the new Principal
> Use fabricshow and look for the ">" Sign before the "SwitcheName"

But again a warning, check if the Old and new Firmware is compatible first.

Cali

ACP IT Solutions AGI'm not an HPE employee, so I can be wrong.
jchen522
Frequent Advisor

Got it.  Thank you!

Sunitha_Mod

Hello @jchen522,

That's excellent! 

We are extremely glad to know your concern has been addressed. 

Thanks,
Sunitha G
I'm an HPE employee.
[Any personal opinions expressed are mine, and not official statements on behalf of Hewlett Packard Enterprise]
Accept or Kudo