108889 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

EVA5000 controller/battery nightmare

SOLVED
Go to solution
yanaki2112
Occasional Advisor

EVA5000 controller/battery nightmare

Two weeks ago my EVA5000 started showing soft diagnostic controller errors. It works but HP recommens to replace that controller...and the nightmare begins.

Day one: HP Field Service replaces the failed contoller and it wont boot. We put back the old contoller and continues working.
Day two: HP field Service tries with another controller, that gives the same soft diagnostic erros. So we put back the old controller and continue working.
Day three: HP agains tries with a new contoller; but now uses the batteries of the existing contoller. Now the batteries fail with a RED led. They try to put back the old controller with those batteries, and now the batteries fail in the old controller as well. So now i cannot even start the old controller.
Day four: HP brings new batteries. After installing, they start charging, after a few hours, the batteries fail.
Day five: HP brings four new batteries. Install the first battery and it fails. Then install the second battery, that seems to work. Install another battery to replace the first that failed, and now both batteries fail the initial tests. Finally, they install just one, and that one has been charging for 10 hours now.

We have escalated this. According to HP, we need to wait for the battery (only one is installed right now) finishes charging; and that could take up to 24 hours.

Can anybody help us in this. I have lost fate.

Tks.
23 REPLIES 23
V├нctor Cesp├│n
Honored Contributor

Re: EVA5000 controller/battery nightmare

Error number 1 was to replace a controller because it shows "soft diagnostic failure".
That requires an analysis of the controller event log to see what caused it.
The solution is not always to replace the controller.

Mainly when the replacement controller shows the same message. There's a lot of things going on when a controller boots, needs a lot of log analysis and not 4 controllers and 8 batteries.
yanaki2112
Occasional Advisor

Actually, HP was who decided after revewing the logs to replace the controllers. From there, has only be an issue of replacing failed parts as if this was a fridge. I just saw a video explaining the one battery takes 15 hours to charge; so ill wait 4 more hours and see if that works.
Also saw another thread with an article on how HP states there are problems with battery replacing.

So...ill wait today what happens.

Question: If ultimately, this battery works, whats the proper procedure for putting the second battery. Im afraid HP is going to do it wrong and fail the 1st battery too.

IBaltay
Honored Contributor
Solution

Hi,
here are the recommendations:
a) never remove batteries from the controller while it is powered down, replace the cache battery only when the controller power is on
b) never install a battery that was previously failed by another controller.
c) both batteries have to removed before installing the replacement batteries. If one of the batteries is replaced whilst the other failed battery is still in the enclosure, the failure may be propagated to the newly installed battery. Furthermore, removing both batteries resets the battery system status information on the controller
the pain is one part of the reality
Rob Leadbeater
Honored Contributor

Hi,

It would be useful to know what analysis HP did before deciding to go down the replacement controller route. I assume they went through the controller logs. Can you post them here ?

It might be that you just had bad luck with the "new" batteries... Did they come out of sealed boxes with an expiry date on them ?

If not, then they may well be suspect.

Cheers,

Rob
yanaki2112
Occasional Advisor

Its 6:46pm local time. More than 18 hours since the new battery was installed. Still shows as Low charge (charging according to HP).

The batteries (most of them came with no boxes, others with no expiration showing, so how knows.

My worst nightmare at this time is the battery not yet charged, and thus the controller not yet working, and my systems underperforming. HP now told me that it could take up to 96 hours to have the battery charged.

Im clueless.
Rob Leadbeater
Honored Contributor

Hi,

> HP now told me that it could take up to
> 96 hours to have the battery charged.

I don't believe I've ever seen a good battery take more than 8 hours to charge. I would question whether the batteries are any good, especially in the absence of the original packaging.

I would push for someone at HP who know what they're talking about...

Cheers,

Rob
yanaki2112
Occasional Advisor

Does anybody know anyone in HP thats an expert and could help me with this. So far i have nothing but a controller down. This is unacceptable paying such a huge contract, and receiving no answers.

Today, the battery has more thatn 40 hours being charging. According to HP, we need to wait until 96!!!!. That does not make any sense.

Uwe Zessin
Honored Contributor

In the "good old days", a competent service center had a "manager on duty".
yanaki2112
Occasional Advisor

Well, now HP is telling us that it makes no sense that after 40 hrs charging, the controller cannot even display the Luns.

So they are bringing another 2 batteries, as their plan.

After that, there is no plan B yet.