108849 Solutions
New Discussion

Inherited an older system - looking to upgrade

SOLVED
Go to solution
Vince Laurent
Respected Contributor

Inherited an older system - looking to upgrade

I have been given charge of 3 older HPVM hosts and thier assocaited guests.  I am in the process of applying OS patches and oh, by the way, I might want to look in to upgrading the VM stuff.  We are currently on B.04.10.00.  What is the end of life for it? Where can I find the doc that has the end-of life for all the VM versions?  What version(s) can I safely upgrade to? Are there docs/cookbook?  Any gotchas?  We are at least running HP-UX 11.31

Thanks!

Vince

4 REPLIES 4
Stan_M
HPE Pro
Solution

Re: Inherited an older system - looking to upgrade

All the answers are in manuals under www.hp.com/go/hpux-hpvm-docs. Release Notes tell you the end of support dates (V4.1 is out of support for quite a while already) and admin guide talks about upgrades and requirements. I'd recommend to go to version V6.3 (currently the latest and greatest).
I work for HPE
Vince Laurent
Respected Contributor

Thanks to the pointers to the docs.  Looks like I am in for a fun time.

According to the charts in the release notes, page 40, can I go from 4.1 to 6.3? Or do I have to do all the steps inbetween?

Stan_M
HPE Pro

well, everything should be in the 2 manuals.
you'll have to update HP-UX OE.
Also for V4-> V6 migration you may need to change config as VIO devices are no longer supported and V6 uses only AVIO ones. Again - manual speaks about this too (the last version supporting VIO was V4.3 so go for admin guide from that version which details the change).
I work for HPE
Vince Laurent
Respected Contributor

HP-UX OE? Oe =?? Operating Environment? I am on 11.31 with all the latest Quality patch and Java Patches. Been doing a lot of swa stuff lately... Is there something more?