Array Performance and Data Protection
1756706 Members
2598 Online
108852 Solutions
New Discussion

Unable to clean up after redirecting a Nimble volume collection to a different SAN

SOLVED
Go to solution
hux
Occasional Advisor

Unable to clean up after redirecting a Nimble volume collection to a different SAN

I have a Nimble in [City1] that originally replicated a volume collection (VC) to #1 Nimble in [City2]. I successfully redirected that VC to #2 Nimble in [City2]. All good so far. My next step is to remove the replicated volumes from #1 Nimble. That's where I'm running into problems.

I tried to delete the VC from #1 Nimble but got the error, "Before you can delete volume collections, you must disassociate any associated volumes." However, I can't figure out how to do that. For example, if I go to one of those volumes,  'EDIT' is grayed out, as is everything on the 'More Actions' drop-down menu.

If I go to the VC screen, the only option that seems relelvant is 'PROMOTE', which says:

"Promote" brings an entire replica set online as volumes. You would promote a volume collection to recover from the failure of an upstream replication partner. Where possible, the preferred alternative is to log into the upstream replication partner and perform a handover. 

But that's not what I want to do. I just want to delete all these replicated volumes.

Also, this page from HPE says:

Important: You should only use promotion when the original array is unavailable.

So, what's the correct way to do this?

[For reference, both Nimbles are model CS7000, running software version 5.0.10.100-940148-opt. Yes, I know I need to upgrade!]

6 REPLIES 6
Sheldon Smith
HPE Pro

Re: Unable to clean up after redirecting a Nimble volume collection to a different SAN

Been a bit since I looked at cleaning up. As I recall, first you edit the volume collection and remove the unwanted pairs.

Note: While I am an HPE Employee, all of my comments (whether noted or not), are my own and are not any official representation of the company

Accept or Kudo

hux
Occasional Advisor

Re: Unable to clean up after redirecting a Nimble volume collection to a different SAN

Unfortunately, that looks like a no-go. That is, I already edited the VC at the source, in order to redirect things to the other Nimble. And I can't edit it on the Nimble where I want to remove the replicated volumes, because I get thIs error:

You cannot edit volume collection replicas. You must either edit the source volume collection or promote the volume collection replica and then edit it.

It's kind of looking like I actually do have to use "Promote", even though the error I mentioned in the previous post implies that I shouldn't.

Sheldon Smith
HPE Pro

Have you talked to Nimble Support?

Note: While I am an HPE Employee, all of my comments (whether noted or not), are my own and are not any official representation of the company

Accept or Kudo

Thomas_Lam_HK
HPE Pro

You can only able to edit the volume collection configuration on upstream array, and wait for the VC setting replicate to downstream array.

The proper procedure is to edit the VC (at upstream array GUI) to remove the volume, once such setting is replicated to downstream, claim the replica (offline-volume) via GUI at downstream then remove the volume.

If it doesn't work, just call support.

Thomas Lam - Global Storage Field CTO

I work for HPEAccept or Kudo
hux
Occasional Advisor

@Thomas_Lam_HK 
claim the replica (offline-volume) via GUI at downstream

Can you explain how to do this, specifically? There's no 'claim' option that I can find in the GUI.

hux
Occasional Advisor
Solution

It turns out that 'Promote' is the correct option in this scenario.

I used the following process:

1. On the screen for the volume collection in question, do Actions -> Promote. This causes the vollume collection to become owned by this Nimble and brings all of its volumes online.
  2. Go to each volume, do Edit and confirm that nothing appears in the 'Access' screen.
  3. Offline and delete the volume.
  4. Once all volumes are deleted, delete the volume collection.