108798 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Volume Collection Leaving VMware Snapshots On VMs

SOLVED
Go to solution
vmw9
Frequent Advisor

Volume Collection Leaving VMware Snapshots On VMs

I got several volume collection that does nightly volume snapshots on my vcenter. however this is leaving many snapshots on the vms and they are not getting deleted. why is that?

5 REPLIES 5
apolman45
Advisor

Re: volume collection leaving vmware snapshots on vms

Hi Tony,

I'm looking at some cases, and there are multiple reasons why this is happening. I recommend you to create a case with support (support@nimblestorage.com) so they can take a peek in your environment to solve this.

Thanks,

Arne

Valdereth
Trusted Contributor

Re: volume collection leaving vmware snapshots on vms

In the event logs for the Host or vCenter, do you see that it attempts to delete/commit the snapshot?

vmw9
Frequent Advisor

Re: Volume Collection Leaving VMware Snapshots On VMs

it usually does but someimes it does not. why is NPM not deleting the snapshots afterwards? I am now stuck with a lot of machines with these snapshots leftover.

Capture.JPG

Valdereth
Trusted Contributor

Did you get a case going with Nimble Support?  Definitely get their eyes on this and hopefully they'll have some suggestions on what could be happening.

I've seen this happen with a number of backup products, where they would send the command to VMware to delete a snapshot and for whatever reason it would error out attempting to delete the snap.  Afterwards it was just a matter of trying to delete the snapshot again or manually creating a new one and deleting all snaps.

vmw9
Frequent Advisor
Solution

yes we have opened case with nimble. they are saying that we have too many vms on one datastore as a result there is a timeout limit with quiesing the vm. But thge issue it there is no problem with quiescing the vm or taking snapshotso n the vms, it the removal of snapshots that the issue. I actually do not see a task of gettting the snapshot getting removed in vcenter on the vms with the snapshots getting left over.

Capture.JPG