1748269 Members
3563 Online
108760 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Software Upgrade

Diane1100

Software Upgrade

Group,

I am looking for instructions for a software upgrade on our 4200 switchbox. Basically, this box was plugged in and has never had a software upgrade - yes, we are several versions behind. OK - I found the software(s423_05.exe), but can't find step by step instructions. I have the release notes, but it does not give the installation instructions. I plan to connect to the switchbox via console cable, I am familiar with using hyperterminal software, but am confused as to how to apply the software s423_05.exe that has been downloaded.

Any links to instructions would be great!!

Diane
4 REPLIES 4
Diane1100

Group,

I am looking for instructions for a software upgrade on our 4200 switchbox. Basically, this box was plugged in and has never had a software upgrade - yes, we are several versions behind. OK - I found the software(s423_05.exe), but can't find step by step instructions. I have the release notes, but it does not give the installation instructions. I plan to connect to the switchbox via console cable, I am familiar with using hyperterminal software, but am confused as to how to apply the software s423_05.exe that has been downloaded.

Any links to instructions would be great!!

Diane
Luckycharms
Frequent Advisor

Hi Diane

While there are multiple ways to "Copy" the firmware to a swich. Most switches support TFTP as the most basic way to copy the file. Higher end switches may have more secure ways i.e SFTP, while other (typically lower end) switches use HTTP. Some use all the above. For details I am sure there is a 3Com "administrator" or "Installation" guide with details. So I would stongly advise you to download/read them, for specfic commands and methods.

For the 4500 the simplest is to use TFTP. Here is how.

You should have TFTP server running on the PC that you downloaded the 3Com firmware to.

By Hyperterm I assume you know how to use Telnet to login to the switch.

Once logged in as Admin the "?" command will give you a list of commands with a descripition of what they do. Once of these will be for copying files but I am not sure what the specific command is on the 4500.

Once the firmware is copied to the 4500 there should be another command to tell the switch to use this new file intead of the original. Again use the "?" command to find out what it is.

Once you have configured the switch to use the new file. Then reboot/power cycle the switch.

Generic Gotchas/Suggestions

One common novice mistake is to try and copy the firmware EXE file to the switch. It wont work.

When one downloads software from a companies site more often than not these are EXE files. EXE just means it will execute on a Windows PC. When the EXE file is a firmware upgrade for a Switch. It means you need to run the EXE file on your PC first. After you run the EXE file it usually contains 1 or more files ( the actual firmware , a readme and maybe other stuff) have been "extracted" in to a directory.

If its a stack of switches. It may take a few minutes for all the switches to come back. Be patient and yes there maybe a hit on the network. So best let everyone know your doing it and then do it after everyone has left for the day. Make sure yo tell everyone again its done.

Not sure of the 3Com version numbering schemes but if by several you mean the box is running 1.0 and the new one is 4.x. Then your are better off upgrading in stages i.e 1.0.0 to 2.0.0 then 2.0.0 to 3.0.0 and then to 4.x etc. If by Several you mean 4.23.01 to 4.23.05 then you can just load the 4.23.05. It has more to do with making sure the original config works once the upgrade is complete.

Diane1100

Luckycharms,

Thanks for your post - I now have the switch upgraded to 3.05. You pointed me in the right direction with the TFTP - worked great!!

Diane
seniorsfamily

I am really quite upset and dissapointed. The company where I still have to work continuing expluatating poor immigrants for anything - if your headset was stolen by your colleague, you will be charged 105 euro, if you are late more than 5 minutes in the morning, you will have to stay 1 hour more in the evening (fortunatelly, it happened to me just once). Sykes Amsterdam hire stuff for these tormentouring procedures? I was quite unhappy and completely dissapointed today. I asked, if you, Cedric Lugt, have a call, that your house is in fire, you will stay calm till your work finish at 6 and then go home to check the ruins? It's not the case, was the answer. Gorbunova, who I brought to the company, histerical "baby" bitch, who even didn't know how to capitalize the letters on the keyboard and also was absent without calling in sick - didn't get a warning. Gorbunova Viktorija, - Hey STOP SCREAMING on ME bla-bla bla. Stop asking me for tranks! You annoy me much:(

Well, I would like to know, where I could get a legal advice about the situation Sykes Management - Sykes stuff? Complete Sykes discrimintaion, abusing, punishing, ignoring, using and throwing people, I hope there are some legal institutes here to make an official claim.

You broke a leg? You can walk, ask Sykes? But your work is the highest priority! Applauses! Everything is fine! We are doing 2009 Survey! Our employees are most happy people in the world! Bloody Sykes, cheap ****, never join that company if you occasionally see an advertisement Sykes Hire, Sykes Want People, Sykes Give a Job, Room in Amsterdam, Sykes Development etc....

Disclaimer: This is my personal opinion that I just published in my own pages of Live Journal and it was transmitted to some similar resources by a robot.

Sykes Policy and Procedures are not being followed up by Supervisors John Armstrong, Billy Lord, Sykes account Manager Cedric Lugt who doesn't understand anything himself - what you expect from a man who owns just 30% of Sykes 3Com Account ?

Sykes HR Andreas Dockel with always red eyes, I am wondering, which substance he uses to feel happy. Looks like something heavy as cox... Though I don't know much, I just know that Laura Czegledi was telling, while living with John Armstrong, that he smoked too much Joint and drink something too much also.

I don't know much about other accounts, just Sykes 3Com Amsterdam, where I have to be like in Sykes Prison, but I heard in other places within Sykes Account is better. Who knows?