1748129 Members
3545 Online
108758 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Oracle Block size

Jade Bulante
Frequent Advisor

Oracle Block size

Is there anyway to decrease the block size on Oracle without having to create another instance??
6 REPLIES 6
A. Clay Stephenson
Acclaimed Contributor

Re: Oracle Block size

Unless you are running Oracle 9i the answer is no.
If it ain't broke, I can fix that.
Thierry Poels_1
Honored Contributor

Hi,

Oracle block size is defined at database creation, and cannot be changed afterwards.

Oracle 9i however, has the possibility to define a block size per tablespace.

regards,
Thierry.
All unix flavours are exactly the same . . . . . . . . . . for end users anyway.
Praveen Bezawada
Respected Contributor

Hi
As of 8i, it is not possible.

...BPK...
Andreas D. Skjervold
Honored Contributor

Hi

There is no way, except to recreate.

On 9i you can do this on individual tablespaces, but not on the system tablespace. So there as well you'll have to recreate.

If you have the creation scripts still, this should be easy enough! (but takes some time if large base)

Andreas
Only by ignoring what everyone think is important, can you be aware of what everyone ignores!
Roger Baptiste
Honored Contributor

<>

That's a generalised suggestion. But not necessarily applicable in all situations. Especially, when the memory in the system is large; and when there are options like enabling pseudo-swap.

<>

16Gb would be a overkill. You can start off
with 8Gb Physical swap (neatly spread across
different disks, VGs , with the same priority and size). Enable pseudo swap through the kernel parameter swapmem_on. When you enable
the pseudoswap, it *dynamically* uses 75% memory for swap too, which makes the total swap size around 14Gb.

Once you do this, monitor swap usage regularly through swapinfo -mt (or glance etc) and see how the swap is being used.

If you are swapping a lot, then there is a problem with the way the oracle instance is tuned.

HTH
raj
Take it easy.
harry d brown jr
Honored Contributor

Jade,

Can you explain why you think you need to reduce the blocksize?

live free or die
harry
Live Free or Die