1752604 Members
4313 Online
108788 Solutions
New Discussion

storage array setup question

crazyxbowler
Occasional Contributor

storage array setup question

I recently purchased a storage array to use on my network. I have 3 servers all running windows 2008 r2. All my servers have sas drives but my storage array is Compaq StorageWorks Enclosure 4354R. My question is how do I connect this array to my network. It has the ultra3 scsi connection on the array but none of my servers have this. It also has a rj-45 port but it says LCD only. So assuming it can't be used to hook it to my switch? Also after I get the connecting part figured out, how do you set it up? And can I use different size scsi disk in it? Along with ultra3 and ultra320 disk?

Thanks,

John

6 REPLIES 6
Johan Guldmyr
Honored Contributor

Re: storage array setup question

You may be able to configure the array via the RJ-45, but maybe you need to do it via a serial to RJ-45 (like on the MSA1000 boxes), but the user guide if we find it should say more.

Hi, you'll need a SCSI card in each server that has external SCSI ports. Another might be to only have a card like that in one server and then from that server share the disks over the network.

http://h18000.www1.hp.com/products/quickspecs/10624_div/10624_div.html

In this link are some details for the enclosure.

"All Ultra320, Ultra3, and Ultra2 devices from HP are compatible with one another so customers can mix and match components in the same storage enclosure or server. "

The user guide should be able to tell you more... if you can find it. (I looked a little but couldn't find it on hp's pages).

What kind of controllers you need in the servers are these:

http://h18000.www1.hp.com/products/quickspecs/10624_div/10624_div.html#Configuration Information

crazyxbowler
Occasional Contributor

I have an hp dl585 g2 and it doesn't have a scsi card in it. Do I just get one to put in a pci slot? or just get a rj45 to serial cable?

Johan Guldmyr
Honored Contributor

Get a SCSI card. I am not sure about the RJ45-to-serial cable (RJ45z on the MSA1000). I doubt that it is required, but maybe it is..

Anyway, you're a bit in luck. The DL585 G2 has two controllers in its quickspecs, that are in the array controller's as well.

6402 and 642 (there might be more).

http://h18000.www1.hp.com/products/quickspecs/12575_div/12575_div.HTML
crazyxbowler
Occasional Contributor

since the 585 already has a array controller, what kind of card do I need to buy in order to connect my ultra3 scsi cable?

Johan Guldmyr
Honored Contributor

You need one that can handle parallel SCSI.
Uwe Zessin
Honored Contributor

> You may be able to configure the array via the RJ-45,

No. No. No. No. No.

The M4354R is a simple Ultra-3 SCSI disk drive enclosure. There is no RAID controller inside. Well, its is not _that_ simple, because it is the dual-bus version (2 SCSI  busses, each going to 7 disk drive bays).

The connector "LCD only" really is for connection to an external LCD (liquid crystal display). It is only used when the M4354R is mounted inside a Tower Encasing, but the sale as stopped a looong time ago.