Simpler Navigation for Servers and Operating Systems - Please Update Your Bookmarks
Completed: a much simpler Servers and Operating Systems section of the Community. We combined many of the older boards, so you won't have to click through so many levels to get at the information you need. Check the consolidated boards here as many sub-forums are now single boards.
If you have bookmarked forums or discussion boards in Servers and Operating Systems, we suggest you check and update them as needed.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cannot Boot into Linux

Alex_14
Occasional Advisor

Cannot Boot into Linux

I have a really big problem. Please ignore my previous post about the prob with the CD-ROM. I did an install via FTP and everything went fine up until boot loader time. Here it goes....When I wanted to make a boot floppy it would not let me make one....fine. I figured once I boot into it I will make one. Well then LILO would not work as a bootloader so then I chose grub and it worked.

Now when I reboot the computer I got an error saying that it cannot find the kernel and vice versa. When I went to run a rescue on the system and I got the same message again saying it could not find the kernel.

So at this point I just want to get back to full hard drive space (thank god I only gave linux 7gb to use). I ran fdisk /mbr, now I need to know how to format the linux partition and reallocate it to windows.

Please note that I used Disk Drake to do my partitioning because I could not spend the money to get Partition Magic. FDISK when I run it from windows will not see the Linux Partition, so how do I get windows to A)see it (so that I can format it) or find some way to use a program that will let me format the partition and then delete it.

My CD-ROM's will not do the rescue and for some reason or another, I cannot download the rescue file from online. I will keep trying to download the rescue so that's all for now.

Please Help me, I really need it and I have never run into this problem before.

Thanks,

Alex
4 REPLIES
Vincenzo Restuccia
Honored Contributor

Re: Cannot Boot into Linux

Run new installation select "update" and create rescue floppy.
Alex_14
Occasional Advisor

thanks for the reply vince. I was just thinking of that. Just run a new install and just format the partitions and start from scratch.

Just a really quick question. What could have happened that I would have had a kernel problem. The computer hung (or at least I thought it did)after it was rebooting so i hit CTRL+ALT+DEL and then when I went to start linux i got that kernel problem. Do you think that the problem was with the initial reboot?

-Alex
Vincenzo Restuccia
Honored Contributor

Verify the integrity of partitions with fsck.
Mark Fenton
Esteemed Contributor

sounds like LILO never was configured when you did your initial install. If you interrupted the install (or if the install crapped out -- had that happen to me a couple of times -- something about the APM features in the box's BIOS), then that is quite likely why it wasn't configured.