Simpler Navigation for Servers and Operating Systems
Completed: a much simpler Servers and Operating Systems section of the Community. We combined many of the older boards, so you won't have to click through so many levels to get at the information you need. Check the consolidated boards here as many sub-forums are now single boards.
General
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cirrus Logic GD-5480 problem in linux

Mark Silver
Occasional Visitor

Cirrus Logic GD-5480 problem in linux

I have a P750C Visualize workstation which I am converting form NT to Redhat 8.0. In Redhat, for any resolution higher that 800x640, I can only use an 8 bit color depth. Is there any way around this?
3 REPLIES
Stuart Browne
Honored Contributor

Re: Cirrus Logic GD-5480 problem in linux

Sounds like it incorrectly detected the amount of available video memory.

What value does it have in /etc/X11/XF86config under the 'Device' section for 'VideoRam' ?

You might want to make sure it has an appropraite amount, something >= 4096 or so (depending on the card).
One long-haired git at your service...
Mark Silver
Occasional Visitor

I checked the video memory, and the card only has 1Mb. I was initially puzzled by this because the HP Visulize work station is supposed to be optimized for graphically intense solid modelling software. After opening up the box, I found that the video card uses both an AGP and a PCI slot right next to each other. Maybe this card use some form of acceleration that Xfree86 doesn't support?
Stuart Browne
Honored Contributor

Possibly.

Unfortunately, the HP Support site doesn't have any details about the model number you've given, so I can't say for certain.

I don't suppose you have the hardware specs, and the model number of this piggy-back card you mentioned?
One long-haired git at your service...